Real Exchange Rates for the Year 2000
AbstractCountries that entered the European Monetary Union had to do so at exchange rates that are close to equilibrium levels. So when are exchange rates at equilibrium levels? Real Exchange Rates for the Year 2000 discusses the fundamental equilibrium exchange rate (FEER) method and estimates FEERS for the G7 countries for 1995 and 2000. There have been large swings in all G7 currencies in the last five years, and in these circumstances, the markets and policymakers need better guides to the sustainable levels of these currencies.The authors estimate equilibrium real exchange rates using a partial-equilibrium model based on econometric trade equations, assumptions of trend output, and estimates of the medium-run current account. They emphasize that the FEER is a medium-run construct and contrast it with the purchasing price parity (PPP) method of determining rates. The authors discuss the links between the FEER and fiscal policy and the extent to which the FEER is a normative concept. They conclude with sensitivity analysis for changes in current account and trend GDP assumptions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Peterson Institute for International Economics in its series Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics with number pa54 and published in 1998.
Note: Policy Analyses in International Economics 54
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1750 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington, DC
Web page: http://bookstore.piie.com/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Béreau, Sophie & Villavicencio, Antonia López & Mignon, Valérie, 2010.
"Nonlinear adjustment of the real exchange rate towards its equilibrium value: A panel smooth transition error correction modelling,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 404-416, January.
- Sophie Béreau & Antonia Lopez Villavicencio & Valérie Mignon, 2008. "Nonlinear Adjustment of the Real Exchange Rate Towards its Equilibrium Value: a Panel Smooth Transition Error Correction Modelling," Working Papers 2008-23, CEPII research center.
- Carton, Benjamin & Hervé, Karine, 2012.
"Estimation of consistent multi-country FEERs,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1205-1214.
- Agnès Bénassy‐Quéré & Lionel Fontagné & Horst Raff, 2011.
"Exchange‐rate Misalignments in Duopoly: The Case of Airbus and Boeing,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(4), pages 623-641, 04.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Lionel Fontagné & Horst Raff, 2009. "Exchange-Rate Misalignments in Duopoly: the Case of Airbus and Boeing," Working Papers 2009-10, CEPII research center.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Lionel Fontagné & Horst Raff, 2009. "Exchange-Rate Misalignments in Duopoly: The Case of Airbus and Boeing," Kiel Working Papers 1488, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Lionel Fontagné & Horst Raff, 2011. "Exchange-rate Misalignments in Duopoly: The Case of Airbus and Boeing," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00603386, HAL.
- Michael Funke, 2000.
"Macroeconomic Shocks in Euroland vs the UK: Supply, Demand, or Nominal?,"
Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers
20001, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Michael Funke, 2000. "Macroeconomic Shocks in Euroland vs. the UK: Supply, Demand, or Nominal?," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 37, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- Ronald McKinnon & Kenichi Ohno, 2000. "The Foreign Exchange Origins of Japan's Economic Slump and Low Interest Liquidity Trap," Working Papers 052000, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Se-Eun Jeong & Jacques Mazier, 2003.
"Exchange Rate Regimes and Equilibrium Exchange Rates in East Asia,"
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 54(5), pages 1161-1182.
- Se-Eun Jeong & Jacques Mazier, 2003. "Exchange Rate Regimes and Equilibrium Exchange Rates in East Asia," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 54(5), pages 0-0.
- Virginie Coudert & Cécile Couharde, 2002.
"Exchange Rate Regimes and Sustainable Parities for CEECs in the Run-up to EMU Membership,"
2002-15, CEPII research center.
- Virginie Coudert & Cécile Couharde, 2003. "Exchange Rate Regimes and Sustainable Parities for ceecs in the Run-up to emu Membership," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 54(5), pages 983-1012.
- Das, Abhijit & Banga, Rashmi & Kumar, Dinesh, 2011.
"Global Economic Crisis: Impact and Restructuring of the Services Sector in India,"
ADBI Working Papers
311, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Abhijit Das & Rashmi Banga & Dinesh Kumar, 2011. "Global Economic Crisis : Impact and Restructuring of the Services Sector in India," Microeconomics Working Papers 23225, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Abhijit Das & Rashmi Banga & Dinesh Kumar, 2011. "Global Economic Crisis : Impact and Restructuring of the Services Sector in India," Trade Working Papers 23225, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Bussière, Matthieu & Ca' Zorzi, Michele & Chudik, Alexander & Dieppe, Alistair, 2010. "Methodological advances in the assessment of equilibrium exchange rates," Working Paper Series 1151, European Central Bank.
- Jerzy Pruski & Piotr Szpunar, 2005. "Exchange rate policy and foreign exchange interventions in Poland," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Foreign exchange market intervention in emerging markets: motives, techniques and implications, volume 24, pages 255-64 Bank for International Settlements.
- Sónia Costa, 2005. "A survey of literature on the equilibrium real exchange rate. An application to the euro exchange rate," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- George Kyriacou & Maria Papageorghiou, 2010. "Assessing the Equilibrium Exchange Rate of the Cyprus Pound at the time of Euro Adoption," Working Papers 2010-6, Central Bank of Cyprus.
- Oliver Hossfeld, 2010. "Equilibrium Real Effective Exchange Rates and Real Exchange Rate Misalignments: Time Series vs. Panel Estimates," FIW Working Paper series 065, FIW.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peterson Institute webmaster).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.