HDR 2003 - Millennium Development Goals: A Compact Among Nations to End Human Poverty
AbstractThe new century opened with an unprecedented declaration of solidarity and determination to rid the world of poverty. In 2000 the UN Millennium Declaration, adopted at the largest-ever gathering of heads of state, committed countries — rich and poor — to doing all they can to eradicate poverty, promote human dignity and equality and achieve peace, democracy and environmental sustainability. World leaders promised to work together to meet concrete targets for advancing development and reducing poverty by 2015 or earlier. Emanating from the Millennium Declaration, the Millennium Development Goals bind countries to do more in the attack on inadequate incomes, widespread hunger, gender inequality, environmental deterioration and lack of education, health care and clean water. They also include actions to reduce debt and increase aid, trade and technology transfers to poor countries. This Report adds to the understanding of poverty by analysing the root causes of failed development. It demonstrates that the range of human development in the world is vast and uneven, with astounding progress in some areas amidst stagnation and dismal decline in others. Balance and stability in the world requires the commitment of all nations, rich and poor, and a global development compact to extend the wealth of possibilities to all people.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in its series Human Development Report (1990 to present) with number hdr2003 and published in 2003.
human development; millennium development goals; MDGs; poverty reduction; economic reform; governance; institutions; participation; social justice; economic growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A0 - General Economics and Teaching - - General
- B4 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology
- C0 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
- D0 - Microeconomics - - General
- E0 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General
- F0 - International Economics - - General
- G0 - Financial Economics - - General
- H0 - Public Economics - - General
- I0 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - General
- J0 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General
- K0 - Law and Economics - - General
- L0 - Industrial Organization - - General
- L3 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- O2 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy
- O5 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies
- Q0 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General
- R0 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General
- Y1 - Miscellaneous Categories - - Data: Tables and Charts
- Y8 - Miscellaneous Categories - - Related Disciplines
- Z0 - Other Special Topics - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thorpe, Andy & Reid, Chris & van Anrooy, Raymon & Brugere, Cecile & Becker, Denis, 2006. "Asian development and poverty reduction strategies: Integrating fisheries into the development discourse," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 385-400, October.
- Tan, Judy Y. & Huedo-Medina, Tania B. & Warren, Michelle R. & Carey, Michael P. & Johnson, Blair T., 2012. "A meta-analysis of the efficacy of HIV/AIDS prevention interventions in Asia, 1995–2009," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 75(4), pages 676-687.
- Vaillancourt-Laflamme, Catherine, 2005. "Trade unions and informal workers' associations in the urban informal economy of Ecuador," ILO Working Papers 383798, International Labour Organization.
- World Bank, 2008. "Investment in Agricultural Water for Poverty Reduction and Economic Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa : Synthesis Report," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8012, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HDRO/UNDP).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.