The effects of Financial & Institutional Systems on International Trade, Specialization and Foreign Direct Investment
Additional information is available for the following registered editor(s):
AbstractThis thesis examines the impact of institutions, especially the financial institutions, on international trade and foreign direct investments. The first four chapters study the financial institutions and their impact on trade and international specialization. Specifically, the first chapter examines these financial institutions and the determinants of their level of development. The second chapter examines how finance impacts bilateral trade. The third chapter builds a theoretical model and aims to explain the impact of finance on the sectoral trade as a function of the degree of financial intensity of each sector. The fourth chapter analyzes the heterogeneous impact of finance on the different manufacturing sectors. The last chapter of the thesis uses the term "institution" in a broader sense and studies theoretically and empirically whether the similarities and differences in institutional environments across countries explain the international patterns of foreign direct investment (FDI).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Paris Dauphine University in its series Economics Thesis from University Paris Dauphine with number 123456789/12894 and published in 2013.
Systèmes financiers; Commerce international; Spécialisation internationale; Investissement direct étranger; Firmes hétérogènes; Modèle de gravité; Financial development; International trade; International specialization; Foreign direct investment; Heterogeneous firms; Gravity model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- K20 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - General
- H80 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - General
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
- F40 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - General
- F - International Economics
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.