Globalization and the International Financial System
AbstractEconomic globalization has given rise to frequent and severe financial crises in emerging market economies. Other countries are also unsuccessful in their efforts to generate economic growth and reduce poverty. This book provides perspectives on various aspects of the international financial system that contribute to financial crises and growth failures, and discusses the remedies that economists have proposed for addressing the underlying problems. It also sheds light on a central feature of the international financial system that remains mysterious to many economists and most non-economists: the activities of the International Monetary Fund and the factors that influence its effectiveness. Dr Isard offers policy perspectives on what countries can do to reduce their vulnerabilities to financial crises and growth failures, and a number of general directions for systemic reform. The breadth of the agenda provides grounds for optimism that the international financial system can be strengthened considerably without revolutionary change.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Cambridge University Press in its series Cambridge Books with number 9780521843898 and published in 2005.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cambridge.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carsten Hefeker, 2010.
"Taxation, corruption and the exchange rate regime,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 338-346, March.
- Carsten Hefeker, 2009. "Taxation, Corruption and the Exchange Rate Regime," CESifo Working Paper Series 2561, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hefeker, Carsten, 2008. "Taxation, Corruption and the Exchange Rate Regime," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Zurich 2008 17, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Hefeker, Carsten, 2008. "Taxation, corruption and the exchange rate regime," HWWI Research Papers 2-12, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Carsten Hefeker, 2009. "Taxation, Corruption and the Exchange Rate Regime," MAGKS Papers on Economics 200911, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Federico Guerrero & Elliott Parker, 2006. "Financial Liberalization and Corporate Debt Maturity in Thailand, 1993-97," Working Papers 06-001, University of Nevada, Reno, Department of Economics & University of Nevada, Reno , Department of Resource Economics.
- Pircher, Marion, 2008. "What Lessons have been learnt since the East Asian Crisis in 1997/98? CIBS, Capital Flows, and Exchange Rates," Working Paper Series RP2008/73, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Federico Guerrero, 2006. "Early-Stage Globalization and Corporate Debt Maturity: The Case of South Korea, 1980-94," Working Papers 06-016, University of Nevada, Reno, Department of Economics & University of Nevada, Reno , Department of Resource Economics.
- Anastasia Guscina, 2008. "Impact of Macroeconomic, Political, and Institutional Factorson the Structure of Government Debt in Emerging Market Countries," IMF Working Papers 08/205, International Monetary Fund.
- Anastasia Guscina & Olivier Jeanne, 2006. "Government Debt in Emerging Market Countries," IMF Working Papers 06/98, International Monetary Fund.
- Cohen, Joseph N., 2008. "Managing the Faustian bargain: monetary autonomy in the pursuit of development in Eastern Europe and Latin America," MPRA Paper 22435, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cosmin Fratostiteanu, 2011. "The Economic Crises And The Role Of International Financial Institutions In Adjusting The Mechanism Of The World Economy," Annals of University of Craiova - Economic Sciences Series, University of Craiova, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 1(39), pages 6-12.
- Lestano & Jacobs, Jan & Dungey, Mardi, 2010. "The internationalisation of financial crises: Banking and currency crises 1883-2008," Research Report 10002, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ruth Austin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.