The Economics of Financial Markets
AbstractThe Economics of Financial Markets presents a concise overview of capital markets, suitable for advanced undergraduates and for beginning graduate students in financial economics. Following a brief overview of financial markets - their microstructure and the randomness of stock market prices - this textbook explores how the economics of uncertainty can be applied to financial decision-making. The mean-variance model of portfolio selection is discussed, with analysis extended to the capital asset pricing model (CAPM). Arbitrage plays a pivotal role in finance and is studied in a variety of contexts, including the APT model of asset prices. Methods for the empirical evaluation of CAPM and APT are also discussed, together with the volatility of asset prices, the intertemporal CAPM and the equity premium puzzle. An analysis of bond contracts leads into an assessment of theories of the term structure of interest rates. Finally, financial derivatives are explored, focusing on futures and options contracts.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Cambridge University Press in its series Cambridge Books with number 9780521612807 and published in 2005.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cambridge.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marco Bartolozzi, 2010. "A Multi Agent Model for the Limit Order Book Dynamics," Papers 1005.0182, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2010.
- Mihaela Nicolau, 2010.
"Practitioners' Tools in Analysing Financial Markets Evolution,"
Acta Universitatis Danubius. OEconomica,
Danubius University of Galati, issue 3(3), pages 83-104, August.
- Nicolau, Mihaela, 2010. "Practitioners' tools in analysing financial markets evolution," MPRA Paper 25646, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- M. Bartolozzi & C. Mellen, 2009. "Local Risk Decomposition for High-frequency Trading Systems," Papers 0904.4099, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2011.
- M. Bartolozzi, 2010. "A multi agent model for the limit order book dynamics," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 78(2), pages 265-273, November.
- Sasidharan, Anand, 2009. "Structural Changes in India's Stock Markets' Efficiency," MPRA Paper 19501, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2009.
- Moawia Alghalith & Ricardo Lalloob, 2012. "A General Empirical Model of Hedging," Journal of Risk and Financial Management, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 5(1), pages 1-19, December.
- David Chilosi, 2013. "Risky institutions: political regimes and the cost of public borrowing in early modern Italy," Economic History Working Papers 50815, London School of Economics and Political Science, Department of Economic History.
- Sasidharan, Anand, 2009. "Structural Changes in India's Stock Markets' Efficiency," MPRA Paper 19433, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2009.
- Detzer, Daniel, 2012.
"New instruments for banking regulation and monetary policy after the crisis,"
IPE Working Papers
13/2012, Berlin School of Economics and Law, Institute for International Political Economy (IPE).
- Daniel Detzer, 2012. "New instruments for banking regulation and monetary policy after the crisis," European Journal of Economics and Economic Policies: Intervention, Edward Elgar, vol. 9(2), pages 333-254.
- Erdal Atukeren & Aylin Seçkin, 2007. "On the valuation of psychic returns to art market investments," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 26(5), pages 1-12.
- Jian Zhang & Lee W. Sanning & Sherrill Shaffer, 2010. "Market Efficiency Test in the VIX Futures Market," CAMA Working Papers 2010-08, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Sheriffdeen A. Tella & Olumuyiwa G. Yinusa & Ayinde Taofeek Olusola & Saban Celik, 2011. "Global Economic Crisis And Stock Markets Efficiency: Evidence From Selected Africa Countries," Bogazici Journal of Economics and Administrative Sciences, Bogazici University, Department of Economics, vol. 25(1), pages 139-169.
- Sasidharan, Anand, 2009. "Does seasonality persists in Indian stock markets?," MPRA Paper 24185, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Aug 2010.
- Anne Schopp & Karsten Neuhoff, 2013. "The Role of Hedging in Carbon Markets," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1271, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Jamie Alcock & John Glascock & Eva Steiner, 2013. "Manipulation in U.S. REIT Investment Performance Evaluation: Empirical Evidence," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 47(3), pages 434-465, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ruth Austin).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.