A First Course in Optimization Theory
AbstractThis book, first published in 1996, introduces students to optimization theory and its use in economics and allied disciplines. The first of its three parts examines the existence of solutions to optimization problems in Rn, and how these solutions may be identified. The second part explores how solutions to optimization problems change with changes in the underlying parameters, and the last part provides an extensive description of the fundamental principles of finite- and infinite-horizon dynamic programming. Each chapter contains a number of detailed examples explaining both the theory and its applications for first-year master's and graduate students. 'Cookbook' procedures are accompanied by a discussion of when such methods are guaranteed to be successful, and, equally importantly, when they could fail. Each result in the main body of the text is also accompanied by a complete proof. A preliminary chapter and three appendices are designed to keep the book mathematically self-contained.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Cambridge University Press in its series Cambridge Books with number 9780521497190 and published in 1996.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cambridge.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pinto, Roberto, 2012. "Stock rationing under service level constraints in a vertically integrated distribution system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 231-240.
- Marco Cosconati, 2011. "Parenting Style and the Development of Human Capital in Children," 2011 Meeting Papers 854, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jean-Paul Chavas, 2012. "On learning and the economics of firm efficiency: a state-contingent approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 53-62, August.
- Salim, Mir M., 2013. "Revealed objective functions of Microfinance Institutions: Evidence from Bangladesh," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 34-55.
- Nirav Mehta, 2012.
"Competition in Public School Districts: Charter School Entry, Student Sorting, and School Input Determination,"
University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity Working Papers
20123, University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity.
- Nirav Mehta, 2012. "Competition in Public School Districts: Charter School Entry, Student Sorting, and School Input Determination," 2012 Meeting Papers 42, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Esteban-Bravo, Mercedes & Vidal-Sanz, Jose M., 2007. "Worst-case estimation for econometric models with unobservable components," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 3330-3354, April.
- Joanne Roberts, 1999.
"Implementing the Efficient Allocation of Pollution,"
jorob-99-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- John Duggan & Joanne Roberts, 2002. "Implementing the Efficient Allocation of Pollution," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 1070-1078, September.
- Sébastien Rouillon, 2012. "Decentralized Management of a Fishery," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 52(2), pages 181-193, June.
- Yasushi Ishida & Masaaki Bannai & Takahiko Miyazaki & Yasushi Harada & Ryuichi Yokoyama & Atsushi Akisawa, 2009. "The Optimal Operation Criteria for a Gas Turbine Cogeneration System," Energies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(2), pages 202-225, April.
- Rasch, Alexander & Wambach, Achim, 2009. "Internal decision-making rules and collusion," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 703-715, November.
- Vits, Jeroen & Gelders, Ludo & Pintelon, Liliane, 2006. "Production process changes: A dynamic programming approach to manage effective capacity and experience," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 473-481, December.
- Acharya, Viral V., 2009.
"A Theory of Systemic Risk and Design of Prudential Bank Regulation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7164, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Acharya, Viral V., 2009. "A theory of systemic risk and design of prudential bank regulation," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 224-255, September.
- Kung, Fan-chin, 2008. "Voluntary contributions to multiple public goods in a production economy with widespread externalities," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(12), pages 1364-1378, December.
- Edward Calthrop & Stef Proost, 2004.
"Regulating on-street parking,"
Energy, Transport and Environment Working Papers Series
ete0410, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Energy, Transport and Environment.
- Edward Calthrop & Stef Proost, 2002. "Regulating on-street parking," Energy, Transport and Environment Working Papers Series ete0202, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Energy, Transport and Environment.
- Pachkova, Elena V., 2009. "Restricted reallocation of resources," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(3), pages 1049-1057, August.
- Beltran-Royo, C. & Zhang, H. & Blanco, L.A. & Almagro, J., 2013. "Multistage multiproduct advertising budgeting," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 225(1), pages 179-188.
- Pitchford, Rohan & Snyder, Christopher M., 2007. "The identity of the generator in the problem of social cost," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 49-67, July.
- Depetris Chauvin, Nicolas & Porto, Guido G., 2011. "Market Competition in Export Cash Crops and Farm Income," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126159, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Daehoon Nahm & Ha Vu, 2013. "Measuring scale efficiency from a parametric hyperbolic distance function," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 83-88, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ruth Austin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.