Applied Nonparametric Regression
AbstractApplied Nonparametric Regression is the first book to bring together in one place the techniques for regression curve smoothing involving more than one variable. The computer and the development of interactive graphics programs have made curve estimation possible. This volume focuses on the applications and practical problems of two central aspects of curve smoothing: the choice of smoothing parameters and the construction of confidence bounds. Härdle argues that all smoothing methods are based on a local averaging mechanism and can be seen as essentially equivalent to kernel smoothing. To simplify the exposition, kernel smoothers are introduced and discussed in great detail. Building on this exposition, various other smoothing methods (among them splines and orthogonal polynomials) are presented and their merits discussed. All the methods presented can be understood on an intuitive level; however, exercises and supplemental materials are provided for those readers desiring a deeper understanding of the techniques. The methods covered in this text have numerous applications in many areas using statistical analysis. Examples are drawn from economics as well as from other disciplines including medicine and engineering.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Cambridge University Press in its series Cambridge Books with number 9780521429504 and published in 1992.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cambridge.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dora L. Costa & Matthew E. Kahn, 2002.
"Changes in the Value of Life: 1940-1980,"
NBER Working Papers
9396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew W. Lo & Harry Mamaysky & Jiang Wang, 2000.
"Foundations of Technical Analysis: Computational Algorithms, Statistical Inference, and Empirical Implementation,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(4), pages 1705-1770, 08.
- Andrew Lo & Harry Mamaysky & Jiang Wang, 1999. "Foundations of Technical Analysis: Computational Algorithms, Statistical Inference, and Empirical Implementation," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 402, Society for Computational Economics.
- Andrew W. Lo & Harry Mamaysky & Jiang Wang, 2000. "Foundations of Technical Analysis: Computational Algorithms, Statistical Inference, and Empirical Implementation," NBER Working Papers 7613, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Susumu Imai & Neelam Jain, 2005.
"Bayesian Estimation of Dynamic Discrete Choice Models,"
2005 Meeting Papers
432, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Susumu Imai & Neelam Jain & Andrew Ching, 2009. "Bayesian Estimation of Dynamic Discrete Choice Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(6), pages 1865-1899, November.
- Susumu Imai & Neelam Jain & Andrew Ching, 2006. "Bayesian Estimation of Dynamic Discrete Choice Models," Working Papers 1118, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Rama CONT, 1998. "Beyond implied volatility: extracting information from option prices," Finance 9804002, EconWPA.
- D. K. Ginther, . "A nonparametric analysis of the U.S. earnings distribution," Institute for Research on Poverty Discussion Papers 1067-95, University of Wisconsin Institute for Research on Poverty.
- Miles Corak & Andrew Heisz, 1999.
"The Intergenerational Earnings and Income Mobility of Canadian Men: Evidence from Longitudinal Income Tax Data,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 34(3), pages 504-533.
- Heisz, Andrew & Corak, Miles, 1998. "The Intergenerational Earnings and Income Mobility of Canadian Men: Evidence from Longitudinal Income Tax Data," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 1998113e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Emre Barut & Warren Powell, 2014. "Optimal learning for sequential sampling with non-parametric beliefs," Journal of Global Optimization, Springer, vol. 58(3), pages 517-543, March.
- Boris A. Zürcher, 2004. "Income Inequality and Mobility: A Nonparametric Decomposition Analysis by Age for Switzerland in the 80s and 90s," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 140(II), pages 265-292, June.
- Fortin, Nicole M., 1997. "L’impact des règles de prêts hypothécaires sur l’offre de travail des femmes au Canada : évidence paramétrique et non paramétrique," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 73(1), pages 129-159, mars-juin.
- Dorn, Sabrina & Egger, Peter, 2012.
"On the Distribution of Exchange Rate Regime Treatment Effects on International Trade,"
Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century
62054, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Dorn, Sabrina & Egger, Peter, 2011. "On the Distribution of Exchange Rate Regime Treatment Effects on International Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 8654, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jan Eeckhout, 2004. "Gibrat's Law for (All) Cities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(5), pages 1429-1451, December.
- Mahmood, Ishtiaq P. & Mitchell, Will, 2002. "Two Faces: Effects of Business Groups on Innovation in Emerging Economies," CEI Working Paper Series 2002-14, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- B. Wade Brorsen & John Coombs & Kim Anderson, 1995. "The cost of forward contracting wheat," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 349-354.
- Heerde, Harald J. van & Leeflang, Peter S.H. & Wittink, Dick R., 1999. "Semiparametric analysis to estimate the deal effect curve," Research Report 99B35, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ruth Austin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.