The Economics of Price Discrimination
AbstractThis book offers a theoretical and unified explanation of how prices are determined in practice. Pricing, as observed in real life, turns out to be almost discriminatory. Four broad areas are covered: the spatial pricing of bulky products (Part I); the intertemporal pricing of storable goods, exhaustible resources, new durables, and nonstorable goods and services (Part II); two-part tariffs, commodity bundling, tie-ins, and nonlinear prices in general (Part III); and pricing of goods of different quality (Part IV). Each essay contains an introductory chapter describing the business practices that are to be rationalized and evaluated. This is the first unified treatment of a recent and growing body of literature in the 'new industrial organization' field. It fills the gap between textbook microeconomics and real-life antitrust cases. The treatment is as nontechnical and down to earth as possible to permit a wide audience for this comprehensive discussion of industrial pricing.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Cambridge University Press in its series Cambridge Books with number 9780521283946 and published in 1983.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cambridge.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Steinberg, Richard & Weisbrod, Burton A., 2005. "Nonprofits with distributional objectives: price discrimination and corner solutions," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(11-12), pages 2205-2230, December.
- Pazo, M&z. ausco & Consuelo & Jaumandreu, Jordi, 1999. "An empirical oligopoly model of a regulated market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 25-57, January.
- Verbruggen, Aviel, 2013. "Belgian nuclear power life extension and fuss about nuclear rents," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 91-97.
- Martín Arroyuelos, Ana María & Aguirre Pérez, Iñaki, 2001.
"On the strategic choice of spatial price policy: the role of the pricing game rules,"
2001-04, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística).
- Iñaki Aguirre & Ana M. Martin, 2001. "On the strategic choice of spatial price policy: the role of the pricing game rules," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(2), pages 1-7.
- Hornbeck, Richard A., 2005. "Price Discrimination and Smuggling of AIDS Drugs," Scholarly Articles 11186012, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Yin, Xiangkang, 2004.
"Two-part tariff competition in duopoly,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 799-820, June.
- Aguirre, Inaki & Espinosa, Maria Paz & Macho-Stadler, Ines, 1998. "Strategic entry deterrence through spatial price discrimination," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 297-314, May.
- Holguin-Veras, Jose & Jara-Diaz, Sergio, 1998. "Optimal pricing for priority service and space allocation in container ports," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 81-106, April.
- Navajas, Fernando H., 2009. "Engel curves, household characteristics and low-user tariff schemes in natural gas," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 162-168, January.
- McPake, Barbara & Hanson, Kara & Adam, Christopher, 2007. "Two-tier charging strategies in public hospitals: Implications for intra-hospital resource allocation and equity of access to hospital services," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 447-462, May.
- Andreea Cosnita-Langlais, 2014. "Where to locate to escape predation?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 34(2), pages 614-626.
- Metz, David, 2005. "Journey quality as the focus of future transport policy," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 353-359, July.
- Marcotte, Patrice & Savard, Gilles & Zhu, Daoli, 2009. "Mathematical structure of a bilevel strategic pricing model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(2), pages 552-566, March.
- Verbruggen, Aviel, 2008. "Windfalls and other profits," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 3249-3251, September.
- Fernandez, Pascual & Pelegrin, Blas & Garcia Perez, Maria Dolores & Peeters, Peter H., 2007. "A discrete long-term location-price problem under the assumption of discriminatory pricing: Formulations and parametric analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 179(3), pages 1050-1062, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ruth Austin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.