AbstractThis volume is intended to provide a survey of thought about exchange-rate determination as it emerged in the decade of the 1970s. This survey differs from many, however, in that the field itself is in a state of rapid change. Understanding the changes and the reasons for them is therefore essential if the reader is to have a basis for understanding future advances in knowledge and the further evolution of the system. The survey is also intended to reach non-specialist professional economists whose balance-of-payments theory was learned before the 1970s, as well as to provide graduate students and advanced undergraduates with an up-to-date account of the field. In most respects, the theory of exchange-rate determination is based upon an analytical structure equivalent to that analyzing the determinants of the balance of payments under fixed exchange rates. The difference is that the shifts in excess demand for foreign exchange lead to quantity adjustments under fixed rates and price adjustment under flexible rates. Thus, attention turns first to exchange-rate, or balance-of-payments, determination. Thereafter formal analyses of differences and similarities between the functioning of the alternative systems are considered, reflecting the focus of the profession and the mainstream of research of this period.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Cambridge University Press in its series Cambridge Books with number 9780521273015 and published in 1983.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cambridge.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mario Gómez Aguirre & José Carlos A. Rodríguez Chávez, 2012. "Análisis de la paridad del poder de compra: evidencia empírica entre México y Estados Unidos," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 27(1), pages 169-207.
- John A. Carlson & Christian M. Dahl & Carol L. Osler, 2008.
"Short-run Exchange-rate Dynamics: Theory And Evidence,"
39, Brandeis University, Department of Economics and International Businesss School.
- John A Carlson & Christian M. Dahl & Carol L. Osler, 2008. "Short-run Exchange-Rate Dynamics: Theory and Evidence," CREATES Research Papers 2008-01, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Jamilov, Rustam, 2012. "Is There a J-curve for Azerbaijan? Evidence from Industry-Level Analysis," MPRA Paper 39370, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jamilov, Rustam, 2011. "J-Curve Dynamics and the Marshall-Lerner Condition: Evidence from Azerbaijan," MPRA Paper 36799, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Feb 2012.
- Ferda Halicioglu, 2008.
"The J-curve dynamics of Turkey: an application of ARDL model,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(18), pages 2423-2429.
- Halicioglu, Ferda, 2008. "The J-Curve Dynamics of Turkey: An Application of ARDL Model," MPRA Paper 6824, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halicioglu, Ferda, 2007.
"The Bilateral J-curve: Turkey versus her 13 Trading Partners,"
3564, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halicioglu, Ferda, 2008. "The bilateral J-curve: Turkey versus her 13 trading partners," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 236-243, June.
- Rustam Jamilov, 2013.
"J-Curve Dynamics and the Marshall–Lerner Condition: Evidence from Azerbaijan,"
Transition Studies Review,
Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 313-323, February.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Menzie D. Chinn & Eiji Fujii, 2007.
"The Overvaluation of Renminbi Undervaluation,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1918, CESifo Group Munich.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Menzie D. Chinn & Eiji Fujii, 2007. "The Overvaluation of Renminbi Undervaluation," NBER Working Papers 12850, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yin-wong Cheung & Menzie D. Chinn & Eiji Fujii, 2007. "The Overvaluation of Renminbi Undervaluation," Working Papers 112007, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- repec:lan:wpaper:2379 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:2381 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dumitriu, Ramona & Stefanescu, Razvan, 2013.
"Utilizarea cursurilor valutare drept ancore nominale antiinflaţioniste
[The use of exchange rates as nominal anchors]," MPRA Paper 52415, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- A Duarte & J L Nicolini-Llosa & Ivan Paya, 2007. "Estimating Argentina''s imports elasticities," Working Papers 583372, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Dumitriu, Ramona & Stefanescu, Razvan, 2011. "Shocks on the Romanian foreign exchange market before and after the global crisis," MPRA Paper 36560, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 09 Feb 2012.
- repec:lan:wpaper:2460 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:2602 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Tatchawan Kantipong, 2001. "Bilateral J-Curve Between Thailand and Her Trading Partners," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 107-117, December.
- Ülkü, Numan & Demirci, Ebru, 2012. "Joint dynamics of foreign exchange and stock markets in emerging Europe," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 55-86.
- Govindan, Kumaresan & Gopinath, Munisamy & Roe, Terry L., 1996. "Growth accounting, supply response and factor returns in general equilibrium: The case of Indonesia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 77-95.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ruth Austin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.