An Economic Theorist's Book of Tales
AbstractThese essays explore what happens when a skilful economist makes unconventional assumptions. Economic theory has traditionally relied upon a tacit and 'classical' set of assumptions that have gradually acquired a life of their own in defining how economists write and how they justify economic models. Similarly, these assumptions have acquired an autonomous character: they guide the way economists think about the world. In consequence, consideration of alternative assumptions has become taboo. These essays are substantively and stylistically novel because they break these taboos and bring new assumptions into economic theory. The papers apply this adventurous approach to a wide range of issues - from insurance markets and trade in underdeveloped countries to unemployment and discrimination. Some of the essays derive the implications for economic markets of costly asymmetric information. Others explore the findings of other social sciences such as anthropology, psychology and sociology.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Cambridge University Press in its series Cambridge Books with number 9780521269339 and published in 1984.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cambridge.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tomasz Zalega, 2012. "Rationality and Methods of Research Into Consumer Market Behavior," Equilibrium, Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika, vol. 7, pages 77-99.
- Roger Frydman, 1998. "Représentations de la société marchande et démarches de l'économiste. Le cas des néo-institutionnalismes," Cahiers d'Économie Politique, Programme National Persée, vol. 33(1), pages 57-79.
- Alain de Janvry & Elisabeth Sadoulet, 2007.
"Toward a territorial approach to rural development,"
The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics,
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, vol. 4(1), pages 66-98.
- de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 2007. "Toward a Territorial Approach to Rural Development," eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 4(1).
- Oleg Sukharev, 2012. "The Neoinstitutional Contracts Theory: New Perspectives," Montenegrin Journal of Economics, Economic Laboratory for Transition Research (ELIT), vol. 8(1), pages 87-118.
- Janvry, Alain de & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 2004. "Fitting the Facts and Capitalizing on New Opportunities to Redesign Rural Development Programs in Latin America," Brazilian Journal of Rural Economy and Sociology (RESR), Sociedade Brasileira de Economia e Sociologia Rural, vol. 42(3), September.
- Foss, Kirsten, 1996. "Transaction costs and technological development: the case of the Danish fruit and vegetable industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 531-547, June.
- Bruno S. Frey und Matthias Benz, . "Ökonomie und Psychologie: eine Übersicht," IEW - Working Papers 092, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Bisin, Alberto & Verdier, Thierry, 1998.
"On the cultural transmission of preferences for social status,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 75-97, October.
- Bisin, A. & Verdier, T., 1997. "On the Cultural Transmission of Preferences for Social Status," DELTA Working Papers 97-04, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Fine, Ben, 2002. "Economics Imperialism and the New Development Economics as Kuhnian Paradigm Shift?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 2057-2070, December.
- Aggarwal, Rimjhim M., 2006. "Globalization, local ecosystems, and the rural poor," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1405-1418, August.
- Kirsten Foss, 1996. "A Transaction cost Perspective on the Influence of Standards on Product Development Examples from the Fruit and Vegetable Market," DRUID Working Papers 96-9, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Spagnolo, Giancarlo, 1999. "Social relations and cooperation in organizations," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 1-25, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ruth Austin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.