Higher aspirations: an agenda for reforming European universities
AbstractSince the introduction of the Shanghai ranking of the worldâ??s universities it has been clear that European universities are underperforming. This blueprint discusses the potential explanations and points at different reform priorities for higher education in Europe.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Bruegel in its series Blueprints with number 1 and published in .
Other versions of this item:
- André Sapir & Philippe Aghion & Mathias Dewatripont & Andreu Mas-Colell, 2008. "Higher aspirations: An agenda for reforming European universities," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/174284, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frederick van der Ploeg & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2007.
"Higher Education Reform and the Renewed Lisbon Strategy: Role of Member States and the European Commission,"
Economics Working Papers, European University Institute
ECO2007/33, European University Institute.
- Frederick van der Ploeg & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2007. "Higher Education Reform and the Renewed Lisbon Strategy: Role of Member States and the European Commission," CESifo Working Paper Series 1901, CESifo Group Munich.
- Daraio, Cinzia & Bonaccorsi, Andrea & Geuna, Aldo & Lepori, Benedetto & Bach, Laurent & Bogetoft, Peter & F. Cardoso, Margarida & Castro-Martinez, Elena & Crespi, Gustavo & de Lucio, Ignacio Fernandez, 2011. "The European university landscape: A micro characterization based on evidence from the Aquameth project," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 148-164, February.
- Jurajda, Stepan & Münich, Daniel, 2006.
"Admission to Selective Schools, Alphabetically,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
5427, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stepan Jurajda & Daniel Munich, 2005. "Admission to Selective Schools, Alphabetically," CERGE-EI Working Papers, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague wp282, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Stepan Jurajda & Daniel Munich, 2011. "Gender Gap in Performance under Competitive Pressure: Admissions to Czech Universities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 101(3), pages 514-18, May.
- Christian Reiner, 2010. "Which policy options for Europe in the global competition for talent? Brain competition policy as a new breed of locational policy with positive externalities," SRE-Disc, Institute for the Environment and Regional Development, Department of Socioeconomics, Vienna University of Economics and Business sre-disc-2010_01, Institute for the Environment and Regional Development, Department of Socioeconomics, Vienna University of Economics and Business.
- World Bank, 2012. "Universities Through the Looking Glass : Benchmarking University Governance to Enable Higher Education Modernization in MENA," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12535, The World Bank.
- Philippe Aghion & Mathias Dewatripont & Caroline M. Hoxby & Andreu Mas-Colell & André Sapir, 2009. "The Governance and Performance of Research Universities: Evidence from Europe and the U.S," NBER Working Papers 14851, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maria Olivares & Andrea Schenker-Wicki, 2012. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Swiss and German University Sector: A Non-Parametric Analysis that Accounts for Heterogeneous Production," Working Papers, University of Zurich, Department of Business Administration (IBW) 309, University of Zurich, Department of Business Administration (IBW).
- Daraio, Cinzia & Moed, Henk F., 2011. "Is Italian science declining?," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(10), pages 1380-1392.
- Saisana, Michaela & d'Hombres, Béatrice & Saltelli, Andrea, 2011. "Rickety numbers: Volatility of university rankings and policy implications," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 165-177, February.
- Camilla Jensen & Itzhak Goldberg, 2014. "Demand-driven innovation policies in the EU," CASE Network Studies and Analyses, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research 0467, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Bolli, Thomas & Somogyi, Frank, 2011. "Do competitively acquired funds induce universities to increase productivity?," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 136-147, February.
- Marcel Gérard, 2008. "Financing Bologna, the Internationally Mobile Students in European Higher Education," CESifo Working Paper Series 2391, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jürgen Janger & Anna Strauss & David Campbell, 2013. "Academic careers: a cross-country perspective," WWWforEurope Working Papers series, WWWforEurope 37, WWWforEurope.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruegel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.