The functioning and resilience of cross-border funding markets
AbstractThe financial crisis that began in 2007 was accompanied by unprecedented funding market dislocations, which spilled across time zones and currencies. The resulting market disruptions triggered policy responses on a global scale, raising questions about the functioning and resilience of the various funding markets on which internationally active banks had relied. This report, prepared by a joint study group of the Committee on the Global Financial System and the Markets Committee, presents an assessment of this episode of global market disruptions. Under the chairmanship of Guy Debelle of the Reserve Bank of Australia, the study group documented in this report the pre-crisis pattern of cross-border funding among internationally active financial institutions, reviewed what happened in various funding markets as the crisis unfolded and the policy responses that ensued, and distilled five policy lessons from the experience.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Bank for International Settlements in its series CGFS Papers with number 37 and published in 2010.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maurice Obstfeld & Jay C. Shambaugh & Alan M. Taylor, 2009.
"Financial Instability, Reserves, and Central Bank Swap Lines in the Panic of 2008,"
NBER Working Papers
14826, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Jay C. Shambaugh & Alan M. Taylor, 2009. "Financial Instability, Reserves, and Central Bank Swap Lines in the Panic of 2008," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(2), pages 480-86, May.
- Naohiko Baba & Robert N McCauley & Srichander Ramaswamy, 2009. "US dollar money market funds and non-US banks," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Robert N McCauley & Jenz Zukunft, 2008. "Asian banks and the international interbank market," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, June.
- Alejandro Jara & Ramon Moreno & Camilo E Tovar, 2009. "The global crisis and Latin America: financial impact and policy responses," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, June.
- Joshua Aizenman & Gurnain Kaur Pasricha, 2009.
"Selective Swap Arrangements and the Global Financial Crisis: Analysis and Interpretation,"
NBER Working Papers
14821, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Pasricha, Gurnain Kaur, 2010. "Selective swap arrangements and the global financial crisis: Analysis and interpretation," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 353-365, June.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Pasricha, Gurnain, 2009. "Selective Swap Arrangements and the Global Financial Crisis: Analysis and Interpretation," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt2vw7s14s, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Niall Coffey & Warren B. Hrung & Asani Sarkar, 2009. "Capital constraints, counterparty risk, and deviations from covered interest rate parity," Staff Reports 393, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Niall Coffey & Warren B. Hrung & Hoai-Luu Nguyen & Asani Sarkar, 2009. "The global financial crisis and offshore dollar markets," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 15(Oct).
- Cetorelli, Nicola & Goldberg, Linda S., 2012.
"Liquidity management of U.S. global banks: Internal capital markets in the great recession,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 299-311.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Linda S. Goldberg, 2011. "Liquidity Management of U.S. Global Banks: Internal Capital Markets in the Great Recession," NBER Chapters, in: Global Financial Crisis National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Linda Goldberg, 2011. "Liquidity management of U.S. global banks: internal capital markets in the Great Recession," Staff Reports 511, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Linda S. Goldberg, 2011. "Liquidity management of U.S. global banks: Internal capital markets in the great recession," NBER Working Papers 17355, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Victor Pontines & Reza Siregar, 2011.
"Cross-border Bank Lending to Selected SEACEN Economies: An Integrative Report,"
South East Asian Central Banks (SEACEN) Research and Training Centre, number sp82, June.
- Pontines, Victor & Siregar, Reza Yamora, 2011. "Cross-border bank lending to selected SEACEN economies: an integrative report," MPRA Paper 31455, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.