Do Macroeconomic Conditions Matter For Agriculture? The Indian Experience
AbstractMacroeconomic instability, characterised by high inflation, fragile foreign exchange positions and high rates of interest, increases uncertainty and hence slows down economic growth. While this is generally accepted, the usual perception about the agricultural sector, particularly in India, is that it is immune to general macroeconomic shocks. In this paper, we examine this perception using a vector autoregressive model. The findings show that the agricultural sector is not insulated from macroeconomic shocks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. in its journal The Singapore Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 55 (2010)
Issue (Month): 04 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/ser/ser.shtml
Other versions of this item:
- Shashanka Bhide & Meenakshi Rajeev & B.P. Vani, 2005. "Do Macroeconomic Conditions Matter for Agriculture? The Indian Experience," Working Papers 162, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- E60 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997.
"Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998. "Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Rangarajan, C., 1982. "Agricultural growth and industrial performance in India:," Research reports 33, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.