Empirical Psychology Between Wholesale Price And Consumer Price Indices: The Case Of Pakistan
AbstractIn a small open economy, the retail sector adds value with a lag to existing production and uses existing domestic production as an input. Therefore, demand side dynamics depend on the wholesale prices of the domestic goods, the prices of the imported goods, the nominal exchange rate, the level of indirect taxes, the marginal cost of retail production and interest rates. Hence, this mechanism provides a theoretical basis for causality from wholesale prices to consumer prices. Being motivated by this causal transmission mechanism, this paper tries to examine the causal relationship between wholesale prices and consumer prices in a small developing economy like Pakistan. Empirical methodology uses recently developed tests for the existence of a long-run relationship between wholesale prices and consumer prices. Typically, in applied analysis, testing for the existence of cointegration and causality can only be carried out once the time series properties of the data have been established. For example, tests for cointegration require the variables to be integrated to the same order, typically I(1), prior to estimation. By eliminating the need for unit root pre-testing, the tests applied here considerably simplify the inference procedure. They also reduce the potential for distortions in the inference due to the unknown properties of the testing sequence. Our findings include robust evidence that, for Pakistan, there is a bidirectional causality between wholesale prices and consumer prices. Feedback impact shows that influences from the wholesale price index (WPI) to the consumers' price index (CPI) is stronger or dominating as compared to feedback from CPI to WPI supporting the Cushing-McGarvey (1990) hypothesis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. in its journal The Singapore Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 55 (2010)
Issue (Month): 03 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/ser/ser.shtml
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C20 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - General
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tiwari, Aviral Kumar & Suresh K.G., & Arouri, Mohamed & Teulon, Frédéric, 2014.
"Causality between consumer price and producer price: Evidence from Mexico,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 432-440.
- Aviral Kumar Tiwari & Suresh K.G. & Mohamed Arouri & Frédéric Teulon, 2014. "Causality between consumer price and producer price: Evidence from Mexico," Working Papers 2014-292, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Rao, Nasir Hamid & Bukhari, Syed Kalim Hyder, 2010.
"Asymmetric Shocks and Co-movement of Price Indices,"
28723, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nasir Hamid Rao & Syed Kalim Hyder Bukhari, 2011. "Asymmetric Shocks and Co-movement of Price Indices," Working Papers id:3569, eSocialSciences.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Tiwari, Aviral Kumar & Tahir, Mohammad Iqbal, 2012.
"Does CPI Granger-cause WPI? New extensions from frequency domain approach in Pakistan,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1592-1597.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Kumar, A.T.K. & Mohammad, Iqbal Tahir, 2012. "Does CPI Granger-Cause WPI? New Extensions from Frequency Domain Approach in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 38816, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 14 May 2012.
- Aviral Kumar Tiwari & Muhammad Shahbaz, 2013.
"Modelling the Relationship between Whole Sale Price and Consumer Price Indices: Cointegration and Causality Analysis for India,"
Global Business Review,
International Management Institute, vol. 14(3), pages 397-411, September.
- Tiwari, Aviral & Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2010. "Modelling the Relationship between Whole Sale Price and Consumer Price Indices: Cointegration and Causality Analysis for India," MPRA Paper 27333, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Ur Rehman, Ijaz & Zainudin, Rozaimah, 2013. "Macroeconomic Determinants of Stock Market Capitalization in Pakistan:Fresh Evidence from Cointegration with unknown Structural breaks," MPRA Paper 52490, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 24 Dec 2013.
- Tiwari, Aviral Kumar, 2012. "An empirical investigation of causality between producers' price and consumers' price indices in Australia in frequency domain," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1571-1578.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.