Budget Deficits, External Debt And Economic Growth In Nigeria
AbstractThe necessity for governments to borrow in order to finance deficit budgets has led to the development of external debt. This study examines how the use of budget deficits as an instrument of stabilization leads to the accumulation of external debt with the attending effects on growth in Nigeria between 1970 and 2003. By synthesizing a relationship between budget deficits and external debt the study shows the implications on economic growth of conducting a fiscal policy within the contexts of debt stabilization and debt sustainability. The results of the econometric analysis confirm the existence of the debt Laffer curve and the nonlinear effects of external debt on growth in Nigeria. The study concludes that if debt-financed budget deficits are operated in order to stabilize the debt ratio at the optimum sustainable level debt overhang problems would be avoided and the benefits of external borrowing would be maximized.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. in its journal The Singapore Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 55 (2010)
Issue (Month): 03 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/ser/ser.shtml
Other versions of this item:
- Osinubi, T.S. & Olaleru, O.E., 2006. "Budget Deficits, External Debt And Economic Growth In Nigeria," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 6(3).
- H61 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Budget; Budget Systems
- H63 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Debt; Debt Management; Sovereign Debt
- H68 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Forecasts of Budgets, Deficits, and Debt
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- O55 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Africa
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.