EXCHANGE RATE VOLATILITY AND MNCs' PRODUCTION AND DISTRIBUTION NETWORKS: THE CASE OF JAPANESE MANUFACTURING MNCs
AbstractThis paper empirically examines the impacts of exchange rate volatility on the location choice by Japanese multinational corporations (MNCs) and their intra-firm trade. We use affiliate-level data for Japanese MNCs for 1995, 1998 and 2001. We found that high exchange rate volatility discourages the establishment of an affiliate by MNCs. Moreover, the high exchange rate volatility causes the shift from inter-firm to intra-firm transactions. These findings imply the importance of maintaining a stable exchange rate environment in order for MNCs to expand their production and distribution networks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. in its journal The Singapore Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 53 (2008)
Issue (Month): 03 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/ser/ser.shtml
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- ANDO Mitsuyo & IRIYAMA Akie, 2009. "International Production Networks and Export/Import Responsiveness to Exchange Rates: The case of Japanese manufacturing firms," Discussion papers 09049, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Kimura, Fukunari & Obashi, Ayako, 2011.
"Production Networks in East Asia: What We Know So Far,"
ADBI Working Papers
320, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Fukunari Kimura & Ayako Obashi, 2011. "Production Networks in East Asia : What We Know So Far," Trade Working Papers 23216, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Fukunari Kimura & Ayako Obashi, 2011. "Production Networks in East Asia : What We Know So Far," Microeconomics Working Papers 23216, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- ANDO Mitsuyo & KIMURA Fukunari, 2013. "Trade Adjustments to Exchange Rate Changes by Japanese Manufacturing MNEs: Intra-firm and arm's length transactions," Discussion papers 13023, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.