Foreign Direct Investment And Economic Growth In Malaysia: The Role Of Domestic Financial Sector
AbstractThis study aims to incorporate the role of domestic financial system in transferring the technological diffusion embodied in FDI inflows on the Malaysian economy from 1970–2001. Applying bound test, or unrestricted error correction model (UECM) proposed by Pesaran et al. (2001), the presence of FDI inflows creates a positive technological diffusion in both short- and long-run if the evolution of domestic financial system has achieved a certain minimum level. This implies that the improvement of technology level in Malaysia in the long run is due to the spillover efficiency effects from FDI. Hence, the study suggests that FDI tends to be more likely to enhance economic growth more efficiently when a recipient country has a well-developed and well-functioning financial sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. in its journal The Singapore Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 50 (2005)
Issue (Month): 02 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/ser/ser.shtml
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- goh, sookhoon, 2012. "Could inward FDI offset the substitution effect of outward FDI on domestic investment? evidence from Malaysia," MPRA Paper 43237, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tang, Chor Foon, 2007. "The stability of money demand function in Japan: Evidence from rolling cointegration approach," MPRA Paper 19807, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jayaraman, T.K. & Choong, Chee-Keong, 2009. "Growth and oil price: A study of causal relationships in small Pacific Island countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2182-2189, June.
- Tang, Chor Foon, 2008. "A re-examination of the role of foreign direct investment and exports in Malaysia's economic growth," MPRA Paper 38536, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abdul Khaliq & Ilan Noy, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: Empirical Evidence from Sectoral Data in Indonesia," Working Papers 200726, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.