Are There Asymmetries in the Relationship Between Exchange Rate Fluctuations and Stock Market Volatility in Pacific Basin Countries?
AbstractThis paper examines asymmetries in the dynamic relationship between foreign exchange fluctuations and stock market volatility in Pacific basin countries. The methodology is based on a dynamic covariance modelling that accounts for leverage effects and the asymmetric impact of currency fluctuations. There is evidence that appreciations are more conducive to lower volatility in currency markets than depreciations of equal magnitude. Market volatility tends to be ceteris paribus, more sensitive to bad news about equity than good news and more responsive to currency depreciations than appreciations. The results also suggest that bad news about equity accompanied with currency depreciations are likely to generate higher volatility in currency markets and have the potential of affecting the significance of leverage effects in stock markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. in its journal Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies.
Volume (Year): 09 (2006)
Issue (Month): 02 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/rpbfmp/rpbfmp.shtml
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
- G3 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tian Yong Fu & Mark J. Holmes & Daniel F.S. Choi, 2011. "Volatility transmission and asymmetric linkages between the stock and foreign exchange markets: A sectoral analysis," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(1), pages 36-50, March.
- Anil Mishra, 2011. "Australia’s equity home bias and real exchange rate volatility," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 223-244, August.
- Ananda Jayawickrama & Tilak Abeysinghe, 2007. "Exchange Rate Exposure of Sectoral Returns and Volatilities : Evidence from Japanese Industrial Sectors," Microeconomics Working Papers 21925, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.