Medium-Term Determinants Of International Investment Positions: The Role Of Structural Policies
AbstractThis paper provides an empirical investigation of the medium-term determinants of international investment positions for a large sample of advanced and emerging economies. In addition to the usually considered drivers of foreign assets and liabilities, the analysis focuses on the role of structural policy indicators. Using cross-section and panel regression techniques the results suggest that structural policy settings are important medium-term drivers of capital flows, having a relatively large impact on gross and net foreign capital positions and on their composition. In particular, the results suggest that certain kinds of structural policy reform could help to narrow global imbalances, and to modify the composition of international capital flows towards more stable and productive sources.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy.
Volume (Year): 03 (2012)
Issue (Month): 02 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/jicep/jicep.shtml
Other versions of this item:
- Davide Furceri & Stéphanie Guichard & Elena Rusticelli, 2011. "Medium-Term Determinants of International Investment Positions: The Role of Structural Policies," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 863, OECD Publishing.
- E6 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Furceri, Davide & Guichard, Stéphanie & Rusticelli, Elena, 2012.
"The effect of episodes of large capital inflows on domestic credit,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 325-344.
- Davide Furceri & Stéphanie Guichard & Elena Rusticelli, 2011. "The Effect of Episodes of Large Capital Inflows on Domestic Credit," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 864, OECD Publishing.
- Stefan Huemer & Beatrice Scheubel & Florian Walch, 2013. "Measuring Institutional Competitiveness in Europe," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 59(3), pages 576-608, September.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2012. "Intra-euro rebalancing is inevitable but insufficient," Policy Contributions 747, Bruegel.
- Davide Furceri & Stéphanie Guichard & Elena Rusticelli, 2011. "Episodes of Large Capital Inflows and the Likelihood of Banking and Currency Crises and Sudden Stops," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 865, OECD Publishing.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.