Rethinking The Growth Diagnostics Approach: Questions From The Practitioners
AbstractThe growth diagnostics methodology pioneered by Hausmann et al. (2005) is becoming a key component of the toolkit for donor agencies to formulate their operational strategies. This paper aims at clarifying the primary objectives of the approach, and at highlighting some limitations for operational use. The key to benefiting from the full potential that this approach offers lies in a proper understanding of what it does. This requires being forewarned about the indiscriminate application of the approach to any developing country, irrespective of its circumstances, for it can lead to misguided conclusions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy.
Volume (Year): 02 (2011)
Issue (Month): 02 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/jicep/jicep.shtml
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A11 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Role of Economics; Role of Economists
- B41 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - Economic Methodology
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O20 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mauricio SANTAMARIA SALAMANCA & Gabriel PIRAQUIVE GALEANO & Gustavo HERNANDEZ DIAZ & Norberto ROJAS DELGADILLO, 2013. "Crecimiento económico y desempleo: Retos a largo plazo," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÃA 011202, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Harald HABERMANN & Pablo PADRUTT, 2011. "Growth Diagnostics: Strengths and Weaknesses of a Creative Analytical Framework to Identify Economic Growth Constraints in Developing Countries," Journal of Knowledge Management, Economics and Information Technology, ScientificPapers.org, vol. 1(7), pages 25, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.