Trade And The Crisis: Protect Or Recover
AbstractWe show that new trade restrictions implemented since the onset of the global financial crisis have had — in the limited products targeted — a strong distortionary impact on trade. Their aggregate impact is modest, however, as most countries have resisted a widespread resort to protectionism. Looking ahead, sustained high unemployment, uneven growth, and an unwinding of government stimulus measures suggest that protectionist pressures may rise. Continuing and further enhancing monitoring of all protectionist measures will help, but the surest way to avoid such a downside scenario is to tighten multilateral trade commitments by completing the World Trade Organization (WTO) Doha Round.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy.
Volume (Year): 01 (2010)
Issue (Month): 02 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/jicep/jicep.shtml
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F02 - International Economics - - General - - - International Economic Order; Noneconomic International Organizations;; Economic Integration and Globalization: General
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F40 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eichengreen, Barry & Irwin, Douglas A., 2010.
"The Slide to Protectionism in the Great Depression: Who Succumbed and Why?,"
The Journal of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 70(04), pages 871-897, December.
- Barry Eichengreen & Douglas A. Irwin, 2009. "The Slide to Protectionism in the Great Depression: Who Succumbed and Why?," NBER Working Papers 15142, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei A. Levchenko & Logan T. Lewis & Linda L. Tesar, 2010.
"The Collapse of International Trade During the 2008-2009 Crisis: In Search of the Smoking Gun,"
NBER Working Papers
16006, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei A. Levchenko & Logan Lewis & Linda L. Tesar, 2009. "The Collapse of International Trade During the 2008-2009 Crisis: In Search of the Smoking Gun," Working Papers 592, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Logan Lewis & Linda Tesar & Andrei Levchenko, 2010. "The Collapse of International Trade During the 2008-2009 Crisis: In Search of the Smoking Gun," 2010 Meeting Papers 109, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bussière, M. & Pérez-Barreiro, E. & Straub, R. & Taglioni, D., 2011.
"Protectionist Responses to the Crisis: Global Trends and Implications,"
319, Banque de France.
- Matthieu Bussière & Emilia Pérez‐Barreiro & Roland Straub & Daria Taglioni, 2011. "Protectionist Responses to the Crisis: Global Trends and Implications," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34, pages 826-852, 05.
- Bussière, Matthieu & Pérez-Barreiro, Emilia & Straub, Roland & Taglioni, Daria, 2010. "Protectionist responses to the crisis – global trends and implications," Occasional Paper Series 110, European Central Bank.
- Francois, Joseph F. & Martin, Will, 2004.
"Commercial policy variability, bindings, and market access,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 665-679, June.
- Joseph Francois & Will Martin, 2002. "Commercial Policy Variability, Bindings, and Market Access," International Trade 0210002, EconWPA.
- Francois, Joseph & Martin, Will, 2002. "Commercial Policy Variability, Bindings and Market Access," CEPR Discussion Papers 3294, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kee, Hiau Looi & Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2006.
"Estimating trade restrictiveness indices,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3840, The World Bank.
- Iacovone, Leonardo & Zavacka, Veronika, 2009. "Banking crises and exports : lessons from the past," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5016, The World Bank.
- Knetter, Michael M. & Prusa, Thomas J., 2003.
"Macroeconomic factors and antidumping filings: evidence from four countries,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 1-17, October.
- Michael M. Knetter & Thomas J. Prusa, 2000. "Macroeconomic Factors and Antidumping Filings: Evidence from Four Countries," NBER Working Papers 8010, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Prusa & Michael Knetter, 2000. "Macroeconomic Factors and Antidumping Filings: Evidence from Four Countries," Departmental Working Papers 200023, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- John Romalis, 2007. "Market Access, Openness and Growth," NBER Working Papers 13048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael P. Leidy, 1997. "Macroeconomic Conditions and Pressures for Protection under Antidumping and Countervailing Duty Laws: Empirical Evidence from the United States," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(1), pages 132-144, March.
- Amiti, Mary & Weinstein, David E., 2009.
"Exports and Financial Shocks,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7590, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Leonardo Baccini & Soo Kim, 2012. "Preventing protectionism: International institutions and trade policy," The Review of International Organizations, Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 369-398, December.
- van Bergeijk, P.A.G., 2011. "One is not enough! Understanding world trade collapses," ISS Working Papers - General Series 521, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Chauvin, Nicolas Depetris & Ramos, Maria Priscila, 2013. "The welfare effect of the new wave of protectionism: The case of Argentina," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 151626, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Peeters, Marga & Sabri, Nidal Rachid, 2012. "International financial integration of Mediterranean economies : A bird’s-eye view," MPRA Paper 38081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Isabel Ortiz & Jingqing Chai & Matthew Cummins, 2011. "Identifying Fiscal Space:Options for Social and Economic Development for Children and Poor Households in 184 Countries," Working papers 1108, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
- Marcel Kohler & Adrian Saville, 2011. "Measuring the Impact of Trade Finance on South African Export Flows," Working Papers 232, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Sabri, Nidal Rachid & Peeters, Marga & Abulaben, Diama K., 2012. "The impact of exchange rate volatility on trade integration among North and South Mediterranean countries," MPRA Paper 38080, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marga Peeters, 2010. "The changing pattern of international trade and capital flows of the GCC countries," European Economy - Economic Papers 415, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Peeters, Marga, 2010.
"The changing pattern in international trade and capital flows of the Gulf cooperation council countries in comparison with other oil-exporting countries,"
23539, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marga PEETERS, 2011. "The Changing Pattern in International Trade and Capital Flows of the Gulf Cooperation Council Countries in Comparison with other Oil-Exporting Countries," Journal of Knowledge Management, Economics and Information Technology, ScientificPapers.org, vol. 1(7), pages 29, December.
- Bradley J. McDonald & Christian Henn, 2011. "Protectionist Responses to the Crisis," IMF Working Papers 11/139, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.