Advanced Search
MyIDEAS: Login

The Hidden Enterprise Culture Of Moscow: Entrepreneurship And Off-The-Books Working Practices

Contents:

Author Info

  • COLIN C. WILLIAMS

    ()
    (School of Management, University of Sheffield, 9 Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 9DT, United Kingdom)

  • JOHN ROUND

    ()
    (School of Geographical Sciences, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, B15 2TT, United Kingdom)

Registered author(s):

    Abstract

    Even though entrepreneurs are commonly depicted as risk takers, little evaluation has occurred on whether they weigh the costs of being caught and the level of punishments, and engage in off-the-books working practices. The aim of this paper is to evaluate the degree to which entrepreneurs engage in such off-the-books work. Reporting a survey conducted in Moscow during late 2005 and early 2006 of 81 entrepreneurs (defined here as individuals starting-up an enterprise in the past three years), just 3.7 percent are found to operate on a wholly legitimate basis. The remaining 96.3 percent have not registered their business, have no license to trade and conduct all of their trade on an off-the-books basis. The outcome is a call to move beyond the wholesome and virtuous ideal-type of legitimate super heroes that pervade textbook depictions of entrepreneurs and toward a fuller understanding of the lived realities of entrepreneurship.

    Download Info

    If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
    File URL: http://www.worldscinet.com/cgi-bin/details.cgi?type=pdf&id=pii:S1084946708001071
    Download Restriction: Access to full text is restricted to subscribers.

    File URL: http://www.worldscinet.com/cgi-bin/details.cgi?type=html&id=pii:S1084946708001071
    Download Restriction: Access to full text is restricted to subscribers.

    As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.

    Bibliographic Info

    Article provided by World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. in its journal Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship.

    Volume (Year): 13 (2008)
    Issue (Month): 04 ()
    Pages: 445-462

    as in new window
    Handle: RePEc:wsi:jdexxx:v:13:y:2008:i:04:p:445-462

    Contact details of provider:
    Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/jde/jde.shtml

    Order Information:
    Email:

    Related research

    Keywords: Underground economy; informal economy; entrepreneurs; Moscow;

    References

    No references listed on IDEAS
    You can help add them by filling out this form.

    Citations

    Lists

    This item is not listed on Wikipedia, on a reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.

    Statistics

    Access and download statistics

    Corrections

    When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wsi:jdexxx:v:13:y:2008:i:04:p:445-462. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.

    For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim).

    If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.

    If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.

    If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.

    If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.

    Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.