Stress Testing The Resilience Of Financial Networks
AbstractWe propose a simulation-free framework for stress testing the resilience of a financial network to external shocks affecting balance sheets. Whereas previous studies of contagion effects in financial networks have relied on large scale simulations, our approach uses a simple analytical criterion for resilience to contagion, based on an asymptotic analysis of default cascades in heterogeneous networks. In particular, our methodology does not require to observe the whole network but focuses on the characteristics of the network which contribute to its resilience. Applying this framework to a sample network, we observe that the size of the default cascade generated by a macroeconomic shock across balance sheets may exhibit a sharp transition when the magnitude of the shock reaches a certain threshold: Beyond this threshold, contagion spreads to a large fraction of the financial system. An upper bound is given for the threshold in terms of the characteristics of the network.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. in its journal International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance.
Volume (Year): 15 (2012)
Issue (Month): 01 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/ijtaf/ijtaf.shtml
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rodrigo César de Castro Miranda & Benjamin Miranda Tabak, 2013. "Contagion Risk within Firm-Bank Bivariate Networks," Working Papers Series 322, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Greenwood, Robin & Landier, Augustin & Thesmar, David, 2011.
TSE Working Papers
11-280, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Robin Greenwood & Augustin Landier & David Thesmar, 2012. "Vulnerable Banks," NBER Working Papers 18537, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Greenwood, Robin & Landier, Augustin & Thesmar, David, 2011. "Vulnerable Banks," IDEI Working Papers 700, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Leonardo Bargigli & Giovanni Di Iasio & Luigi Infante & Fabrizio Lillo & Federico Pierobon, 2013.
"The Multiplex Structure of Interbank Networks,"
Working Papers - Economics
wp2013_26.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.