A Structural Risk-Neutral Model Of Electricity Prices
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to present a model for electricity spot prices and the corresponding forward contracts, which relies on the underlying market of fuels, thus avoiding the electricity non-storability restriction. The structural aspect of our model comes from the fact that the electricity spot prices depend on the dynamics of the electricity demand at the maturity T, and on the random available capacity of each production means. Our model explains, in a stylized fact, how the prices of different fuels together with the demand combine to produce electricity prices. This modeling methodology allows one to transfer to electricity prices the risk-neutral probabilities of the market of fuels and under the hypothesis of independence between demand and outages on one hand, and prices of fuels on the other hand, it provides a regression-type relation between electricity forward prices and forward prices of fuels. Moreover, the model produces, by nature, the well-known peaks observed on electricity market data. In our model, spikes occur when the producer has to switch from one technology to the lowest cost available one. Numerical tests performed on a very crude approximation of the French electricity market using only two fuels (gas and oil) provide an illustration of the potential interest of this model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. in its journal International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance.
Volume (Year): 12 (2009)
Issue (Month): 07 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/ijtaf/ijtaf.shtml
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Füss, Roland & Mahringer, Steffen & Prokopczuk, Marcel, 2013. "Electricity Spot and Derivatives Pricing when Markets are Interconnected," Working Papers on Finance 1323, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Rene Carmona & Michael Coulon & Daniel Schwarz, 2012. "Electricity price modeling and asset valuation: a multi-fuel structural approach," Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive 1205.2299, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- Füss, Roland & Mahringer, Steffen & Prokopczuk, Marcel, 2013. "Electricity Derivatives Pricing with Forward-Looking Information," Working Papers on Finance 1317, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Coulon, Michael & Powell, Warren B. & Sircar, Ronnie, 2013. "A model for hedging load and price risk in the Texas electricity market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 976-988.
- Ren\'e A\"id & Luciano Campi & Nicolas Langren\'e & Huy\^en Pham, 2012. "A probabilistic numerical method for optimal multiple switching problem and application to investments in electricity generation," Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive 1210.8175, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- René Aïd & Luciano Campi & Nicolas Langrené & Huyên Pham, 2012. "A probabilistic numerical method for optimal multiple switching problem and application to investments in electricity generation," Working Papers hal-00747229, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.