Efficient Hedging And Pricing Of Equity-Linked Life Insurance Contracts On Several Risky Assets
AbstractThe paper uses the efficient hedging methodology in order to optimally price and hedge equity-linked life insurance contracts whose payoff depends on the performance of several risky assets. In particular, we consider a policy which pays the maximum of the values of n risky assets at some maturity date T, provided that the policyholder survives to T. Such contracts incorporate financial risk, which stems from the uncertainty about future prices of the underlying financial assets, and insurance risk, which arises from the policyholder's mortality. We show how efficient hedging can be used to minimize expected losses from imperfect hedging under a particular risk preference of the hedger. We also prove a probabilistic result, which allows one to calculate analytic pricing formulas for equity-linked payoffs with n risky assets. To illustrate its use, explicit formulas are given for optimal prices and expected hedging losses for payoffs with two risky assets. Numerical examples highlighting the implications of efficient hedging for the management of financial and insurance risks of equity-linked life insurance policies are also provided.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. in its journal International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance.
Volume (Year): 11 (2008)
Issue (Month): 03 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/ijtaf/ijtaf.shtml
Other versions of this item:
- Alexander Melnikov & Yuliya Romanyuk, 2006. "Efficient Hedging and Pricing of Equity-Linked Life Insurance Contracts on Several Risky Assets," Working Papers 06-43, Bank of Canada.
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ioannis Karatzas & Jaksa Cvitanic, 1999. "On dynamic measures of risk," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 451-482.
- Elisa Luciano & Elena Vigna, 2006.
"Non mean reverting affne processes for stochastic mortality,"
Carlo Alberto Notebooks
30, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Elisa Luciano & Elena Vigna, 2005. "Non mean reverting affine processes for stochastic mortality," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 4-2005, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Brennan, Michael J. & Schwartz, Eduardo S., 1976. "The pricing of equity-linked life insurance policies with an asset value guarantee," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 195-213, June.
- Nakano, Yumiharu, 2004. "Minimization of shortfall risk in a jump-diffusion model," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 87-95, March.
- Boyle, Phelim P. & Hardy, Mary R., 1997. "Reserving for maturity guarantees: Two approaches," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 113-127, November.
- Dahl, Mikkel, 2004. "Stochastic mortality in life insurance: market reserves and mortality-linked insurance contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 113-136, August.
- Steinar Ekern & Svein-Arne Persson, 1996. "Exotic Unit-Linked Life Insurance Contracts," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(1), pages 35-63, June.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Boyle, Phelim P. & Lin, X. Sheldon, 1997. "Bounds on contingent claims based on several assets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 383-400, December.
- Bacinello, Anna Rita & Ortu, Fulvio, 1993. "Pricing equity-linked life insurance with endogenous minimum guarantees," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 245-257, June.
- repec:wop:humbsf:2000-34 is not listed on IDEAS
- Melnikov, Alexander & Romaniuk, Yulia, 2006. "Evaluating the performance of Gompertz, Makeham and Lee-Carter mortality models for risk management with unit-linked contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 310-329, December.
- Biffis, Enrico, 2005. "Affine processes for dynamic mortality and actuarial valuations," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 443-468, December.
- Boyle, Phelim P. & Tse, Y. K., 1990. "An Algorithm for Computing Values of Options on the Maximum or Minimum of Several Assets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(02), pages 215-227, June.
- Eckhard Platen, 2009. "Real World Pricing of Long Term Contracts," Research Paper Series 262, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Klusik, Przemyslaw & Palmowski, Zbigniew, 2011. "Quantile hedging for equity-linked contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 280-286, March.
- Klusik Przemyslaw, 2014. "Hedging of equity-linked with maximal success factor," Papers 1405.0732, arXiv.org.
- Gao, Quansheng & He, Ting & Zhang, Chi, 2011. "Quantile hedging for equity-linked life insurance contracts in a stochastic interest rate economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 147-156, January.
- Kevin Fergusson & Eckhard Platen, 2013. "Real World Pricing of Long Term Cash-Linked Annuities and Equity-Linked Annuities with Cash-Linked Guarantees," Research Paper Series 338, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.