Option Pricing For Garch Models With Markov Switching
AbstractIn this paper we develop a method for pricing derivatives under a Markov switching version of the Heston-Nandi GARCH (1, 1) model by using a well known tool from actuarial science, namely the Esscher transform. We suppose that the dynamics of the GARCH process switch over time according to one of the regimes described by the states of an observable Markov chain process. By augmenting the conditional Esscher transform with the observable Markov switching process, a Markov switching conditional Esscher transform (MSCET) is developed to identify a martingale measure for option valuation in the incomplete market described by our model. We provide an alternative approach for the derivation of an analytical option valuation formula under the Markov switching Heston-Nandi GARCH (1, 1) model. The use of the MSCET can be justified by considering a utility maximization problem with respect to a power utility function associated with the Markov switching risk-averse parameters.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. in its journal International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance.
Volume (Year): 09 (2006)
Issue (Month): 06 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/ijtaf/ijtaf.shtml
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Badescu, Alex & Elliott, Robert J. & Siu, Tak Kuen, 2009. "Esscher transforms and consumption-based models," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 337-347, December.
- Henri Bertholon & Alain Monfort & Fulvio Pegoraro, 2007.
"Econometric Asset Pricing Modelling,"
2007-18, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Lau, John W. & Siu, Tak Kuen, 2008. "On option pricing under a completely random measure via a generalized Esscher transform," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 99-107, August.
- Rombouts, Jeroen V.K. & Stentoft, Lars, 2014. "Bayesian option pricing using mixed normal heteroskedasticity models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 76(C), pages 588-605.
- Kiyotaka Satoyoshi & Hidetoshi Mitsui, 2011. "Empirical Study of Nikkei 225 Options with the Markov Switching GARCH Model," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 55-68, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.