The Determinants Of Credit Default Swap Rates: An Explanatory Study
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to explain empirically the determinants of credit default swap rates using a linear regression. We document that the majority of variables, detected from the credit risk pricing theories, explain more than 60% of the total level of credit default swap. These theoretical variables are credit rating, maturity, riskless interest rate, slope of the yield curve and volatility of equities. The estimated coefficients for the majority of these variables are consistent with theory and they are significant both statistically and economically. We conclude that credit rating is the most determinant of credit default swap rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. in its journal International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance.
Volume (Year): 09 (2006)
Issue (Month): 01 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/ijtaf/ijtaf.shtml
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chang-Yi Hsu & Jean Yu & Shiow-Ying Wen, 2013. "The Analysts’ Forecast of IPO Firms during the Global Financial Crisis," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 3(3), pages 673-682.
- Ansgar Belke & Christian Gokus, 2011.
"Volatility Patterns of CDS, Bond and Stock Markets before and during the Financial Crisis: Evidence from Major Financial Institutions,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1107, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Ansgar Belke & Christian Gokus, 2011. "Volatility Patterns of CDS, Bond and Stock Markets Before and During the Financial Crisis – Evidence from Major Financial Institutions," Ruhr Economic Papers 0243, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Courtney, Samuel, 2010. "2008 SEC short selling ban: impacts on the credit default swap market," MPRA Paper 35366, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hayette Gatfaoui, 2010. "Investigating the dependence structure between credit default swap spreads and the U.S. financial market," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 511-535, October.
- Ramaprasad Bhar, 2010. "Stochastic Filtering With Applications In Finance:," World Scientific Books, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., number 7736, October.
- Courtney, Samuel, 2010. "2008 SEC short selling ban: impacts on the credit default swap market," MPRA Paper 35390, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.