The Proper Use Of Risk Measures In Portfolio Theory
AbstractThis paper discusses and analyzes risk measure properties in order to understand how a risk measure has to be used to optimize the investor's portfolio choices. In particular, we distinguish between two admissible classes of risk measures proposed in the portfolio literature: safety-risk measures and dispersion measures. We study and describe how the risk could depend on other distributional parameters. Then, we examine and discuss the differences between statistical parametric models and linear fund separation ones. Finally, we propose an empirical comparison among three different portfolio choice models which depend on the mean, on a risk measure, and on a skewness parameter. Thus, we assess and value the impact on the investor's preferences of three different risk measures even considering some derivative assets among the possible choices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. in its journal International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance.
Volume (Year): 08 (2005)
Issue (Month): 08 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/ijtaf/ijtaf.shtml
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Caporin, Massimiliano & Lisi, Francesco, 2011.
"Comparing and selecting performance measures using rank correlations,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2011-14, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Caporin, Massimiliano & Lisi, Francesco, 2011. "Comparing and selecting performance measures using rank correlations," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 5(10), pages 1-34.
- Farinelli, Simone & Ferreira, Manuel & Rossello, Damiano & Thoeny, Markus & Tibiletti, Luisa, 2009. "Optimal asset allocation aid system: From "one-size" vs "tailor-made" performance ratio," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(1), pages 209-215, January.
- Ortobelli, Sergio & Rachev, Svetlozar T. & Fabozzi, Frank J., 2010. "Risk management and dynamic portfolio selection with stable Paretian distributions," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 195-211, March.
- Schuhmacher, Frank & Eling, Martin, 2012. "A decision-theoretic foundation for reward-to-risk performance measures," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2077-2082.
- Ankit Dangi, 2013. "Financial Portfolio Optimization: Computationally guided agents to investigate, analyse and invest!?," Papers 1301.4194, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.