An Alternative Interest Rate Term Structure Model
AbstractThis paper proposes an alternative approach to the modeling of the interest rate term structure. It suggests that the total market price for risk is an important factor that has to be modeled carefully. The growth optimal portfolio, which is characterized by this factor, is used as reference unit or benchmark for obtaining a consistent price system. Benchmarked derivative prices are taken as conditional expectations of future benchmarked prices under the real world probability measure. The inverse of the squared total market price for risk is modeled as a square root process and shown to influence the medium and long term forward rates. With constant parameters and constant short rate the model already generates a hump shaped mean for the forward rate curve and other empirical features typically observed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. in its journal International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance.
Volume (Year): 08 (2005)
Issue (Month): 06 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/ijtaf/ijtaf.shtml
Other versions of this item:
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nicola Bruti-Liberati & Christina Nikitopoulos-Sklibosios & Eckhard Platen & Erik Schlogl, 2009. "Alternative Defaultable Term Structure Models," Research Paper Series 242, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Shane Miller & Eckhard Platen, 2008.
"Analytic Pricing of Contingent Claims Under the Real-World Measure,"
Research Paper Series
216, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Shane M. Miller & Eckhard Platen, 2008. "Analytic Pricing Of Contingent Claims Under The Real-World Measure," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 11(08), pages 841-867.
- Shane Miller & Eckhard Platen, 2004.
"Two-Factor Model for Low Interest Rate Regimes,"
Research Paper Series
130, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- El Qalli, Yassine, 2009.
"Term Structure Equations Under Benchmark Framework,"
15667, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- El Qalli Yassine, 2009. "Term Structure Equations Under Benchmark Framework," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2009_13, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Hardy Hulley & Shane Miller & Eckhard Platen, 2005. "Benchmarking and Fair Pricing Applied to Two Market Models," Research Paper Series 155, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.