On Equilibrium Refinement For Discontinuous Games
AbstractIn moving from finite-action to infinite-action games, standard refinements of the Nash equilibrium concept cease to satisfy certain "natural" properties. For instance, perfect equilibria in compact, continuous games need not be admissible. This paper highlights additional properties of two standard refinement specifications that are not inherited by supersets of the set of finite games. The analysis reveals the following about the behavior of perfectness and strategic stability within a class of (possibly) discontinuous games: (1) Equilibria that assign positive probability to the interior of the set of strategies weakly dominated for some player can be chosen; (2) nonadmissible equilibria need not be ruled out when they are weakly dominated by admissible perfect equilibria; and (3) nonadmissible equilibria may be selected when admissible equilibria are ruled out.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. in its journal International Game Theory Review.
Volume (Year): 13 (2011)
Issue (Month): 03 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/igtr/igtr.shtml
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B4 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology
- C0 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General
- C6 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling
- C7 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory
- D5 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium
- D7 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making
- M2 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.