A Dynamic Game Of Operations And Marketing Management In A Supply Chain
AbstractThe aim of the paper is to study some important differences between (classical) non-cooperative and (modern) cooperative supply chain management. For this purpose, the paper develops a differential game model involving operations and marketing activities that are performed by a manufacturer and a retailer in a simple two-member supply chain. We consider a particular single brand of the manufacturer. The manufacturer decides on production volume, production process improvement and national advertising efforts, while the retailer decides her purchase volume by the manufacturer and her pricing policy toward the final consumers. A revenue sharing contract is employed in the non-cooperative setting. Among the issues addressed on the manufacturer side are the trade-off between production and process improvement activities, the path of inventory over time, and the trade-off between attracting new customers and improving the loyalty of current customers. For the retailer we study the inventory and price evolution over time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd. in its journal International Game Theory Review.
Volume (Year): 10 (2008)
Issue (Month): 04 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.worldscinet.com/igtr/igtr.shtml
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B4 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology
- C0 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General
- C6 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling
- C7 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory
- D5 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium
- D7 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making
- M2 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aust, Gerhard & Buscher, Udo, 2014. "Cooperative advertising models in supply chain management: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 234(1), pages 1-14.
- De Giovanni, Pietro, 2011. "Quality improvement vs. advertising support: Which strategy works better for a manufacturer?," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 208(2), pages 119-130, January.
- Warburton, Roger D.H. & Hodgson, J.P.E. & Nielsen, E.H., 2014. "Exact solutions to the supply chain equations for arbitrary, time-dependent demands," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 151(C), pages 195-205.
- Huang, Jian & Leng, Mingming & Liang, Liping, 2012. "Recent developments in dynamic advertising research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 220(3), pages 591-609.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tai Tone Lim).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.