Sustainable and balanced development of insular space: the case of Greece
AbstractIslands, as unique ecosystems, are characterized by a particular sensitivity that affects all the fundamental dimensions of the sustainable development. Thus, highlighting the particularities of the operation of these ecosystems is of considerable importance. This helps to determine the factors and limitations of stability regarding insular ecosystems. All these issues are analysed in this paper. Since they are related to a case study of the Greek insular space, the formulation of a strategic framework for the sustainable and balanced development of the islands is discussed. This strategy is structured by specific priority axes that aim at tackling limitations and expanding the production base, as well as social development. The policies and mechanisms put in place in order to facilitate these priorities are presented too, as well as the necessary supportive and institutional actions. Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd and ERP Environment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Sustainable Development.
Volume (Year): 17 (2009)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1099-1719
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Artur Pawłowski, 2008. "How many dimensions does sustainable development have?," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(2), pages 81-90.
- Conway, Gordon R., 1987. "The properties of agroecosystems," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 95-117.
- Nicolas Grosjean & Olivier Crevoisier, 2003. "Autonomie différenciée des systèmes de production territoriaux," Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine, Armand Colin, vol. 0(2), pages 291-315.
- Tim Short, 2008. "Sustainable development in Rwanda: industry and government," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 56-69.
- John Thalassinos & Konstantinos Liapis, 2011. "Measuring a Bank’s Financial Health: A Case Study for the Greek Banking Sector," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(3), pages 135-172.
- Eleftherios Thalassinos & Konstantinos Liapis & John E. Thalassinos, 2011. "The Regulation Framework for the Banking Sector: The EMU, European Banks and Rating Agencies before and during the Recent Financial and Debt Crisis," Annals of University of Craiova - Economic Sciences Series, University of Craiova, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 1(39), pages 250-279.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.