The contribution of corporate social responsibility to sustainable development
AbstractThis paper considers the motivations for and nature of business contributions to sustainable development though the medium of corporate social responsibility (CSR). It compares CSR with sustainable development, given that they are both 'essentially contested concepts'; it introduces CSR's changing meaning and it explains why there has been a recent increase in CSR with reference to the increasing socialization of markets as a result of narrow market drivers, along with other social, governmental and globalization drivers. It uses Hart's 'A natural-resource-based view of the firm' to explain the way in which these drivers give rise to sustainable development agendas in companies and provides illustration of these. The concluding discussion identifies some limitations to CSR as a vehicle for sustainable development and signals important avenues of research for policy-makers. Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd and ERP Environment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Sustainable Development.
Volume (Year): 15 (2007)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1099-1719
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carroll, Archie B., 1991. "The pyramid of corporate social responsibility: Toward the moral management of organizational stakeholders," Business Horizons, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 39-48.
- Ashley, P.A., 2010. "Interactions between states and markets in a global context of change: contribution for building a research agenda on stakeholders’ social responsibility," ISS Working Papers - General Series, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague 506, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Windsor, Duane, 2013. "Corporate social responsibility and irresponsibility: A positive theory approach," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 66(10), pages 1937-1944.
- Adeolu O. Adewuyi & Afolabi E. Olowookere, 2010. "CSR and sustainable community development in Nigeria: WAPCO, a case from the cement industry," Social Responsibility Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 6(4), pages 522-535, November.
- Reinhard Steurer, 2010. "The role of governments in corporate social responsibility: characterising public policies on CSR in Europe," Policy Sciences, Springer, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 49-72, March.
- Rodica Milena Zaharia & Alin Stancu & Carmen Stoian & Mihaela Diaconu, 2010. "Commercial Activity’s Contribution to Sustainable Development by Social Responsability Actions: a Vision of SMEs," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 12(27), pages 155-167, February.
- Maria Jesus Munoz-Torres & Maria Angeles Fernandez-Izquierdo & Luisa Nieto-Soria & Juana Maria Rivera-Lirio & Elena Escrig-Olmedo & Raul Leon-Soriano, 2009. "SMEs and corporate social responsibility. The perspective from Spanish companies," International Journal of Sustainable Economy, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(3), pages 270-288.
- Lebano, A., 2010. "The concept of corporate social responsibility: a philosophical approach," ISS Working Papers - General Series, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague 508, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Jukka Hoffrén & Eeva-Lotta Apajalahti, 2009. "Emergent eco-efficiency paradigm in corporate environment management," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(4), pages 233-243.
- Luis Perez-Batres & Van Miller & Michael Pisani, 2010. "CSR, Sustainability and the Meaning of Global Reporting for Latin American Corporations," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, Springer, vol. 91(2), pages 193-209, February.
- Dong-shang Chang & Li-chin Regina Kuo, 2008. "The effects of sustainable development on firms' financial performance - an empirical approach," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(6), pages 365-380.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.