Evaluation of irrigation projects and water resource management: a methodological proposal
AbstractTraditionally, water policy in Spain, and particularly as regards irrigation, has paid little attention to the analysis of efficiency in management aspects. This reality is in juxtaposition with the growing difficulties observed in satisfying water demand and with social demands in terms of the efficient use of public money. In this paper a methodology is proposed, which could be particularly useful for the economic-financial evaluation of public irrigation works. Both public and private cash flows generated by investments are considered and updated using the net current value criterion (NCV). After formulation of the methodological proposal, a practical application of it is made using the irrigatable areas of Viar, Cac�n and Vegas Bajas, located in the river Guadalquivir basin. The method could be highly useful to aid decision-making in public and private investments in terms of water resource management, and to estimate productivity and elasticity in the demand for water in farming. Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. and ERP Environment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Sustainable Development.
Volume (Year): 10 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1099-1719
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tsur, Yacov & Dinar, Ariel, 1995. "Efficiency and equity considerations in pricing and allocating irrigation water," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1460, The World Bank.
- Glenn D. Schaible, 1997. "Water Conservation Policy Analysis: An Interregional, Multi-Output, Primal-Dual Optimization Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 163-177.
- Michael R. Moore & Ariel Dinar, 1995. "Water and Land as Quantity-Rationed Inputs in California Agriculture: Empirical Tests and Water Policy Implications," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 71(4), pages 445-461.
- Tsur, Yacov & Dinar, Ariel, 1997. "The Relative Efficiency and Implementation Costs of Alternative Methods for Pricing Irrigation Water," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 11(2), pages 243-62, May.
- Jordi Honey-Rosés, 2009. "Reviewing the arguments for market based approaches to water distribution: a critical assessment for sustainable water management in Spain," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(6), pages 357-364.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.