Delegation in a mixed oligopoly: the case of multiple private firms
AbstractPrevious research examining mixed duopolies shows that the use of an optimal incentive contract for the public firm increases welfare and that privatization reduces welfare. We demonstrate that these results do not generalize to a mixed oligopoly with multiple private firms. We derive the optimal incentive contract for a public firm that weighs both profit and welfare and show that its use may either increase or decrease welfare depending on the number of private firms and the exact nature of costs. We also identify the conditions that determine whether or not privatizing the public firm facing an optimal incentive contract reduces welfare. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Managerial and Decision Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huck, Steffen & Muller, Wieland & Normann, Hans-Theo, 2004.
"Strategic delegation in experimental markets,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 561-574, April.
- Huck, S. & Müller, W. & Normann, H.T., 2004. "Strategic delegation in experimental markets," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-140880, Tilburg University.
- Huck, Steffen & Müller, Wieland & Normann, Hans-Theo, 2000. "Strategic delegation in experimental markets," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2000,39, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Steffen Huck & Wieland Müller & Hans-Theo Norman, 2000. "Strategic Delegation in Experimental Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 290, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fershtman, Chaim & Judd, Kenneth L, 1987.
"Equilibrium Incentives in Oligopoly,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 927-40, December.
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Osamu Kanda, 2005. "Mixed Oligopoly at Free Entry Markets," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 84(1), pages 27-48, 02.
- Mujumdar, Sudesh & Pal, Debashis, 2007. "Strategic managerial incentives in a two-period Cournot duopoly," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 338-353, February.
- de Fraja, Giovanni & Delbono, Flavio, 1989. "Alternative Strategies of a Public Enterprise in Oligopoly," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(2), pages 302-11, April.
- Lu, Yuanzhu & Poddar, Sougata, 2005.
"Mixed oligopoly and the choice of capacity,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(4), pages 365-374, December.
- Ali Dadpay & John S. Heywood, 2006. "Mixed Oligopoly In A Single International Market ," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(4), pages 269-280, December.
- Lambertini, Luca & Trombetta, Marco, 2002. "Delegation and firms' ability to collude," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 359-373, April.
- White, Mark D., 2002. "Political manipulation of a public firm's objective function," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 487-499, December.
- Vickers, John, 1985. "Delegation and the Theory of the Firm," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(380a), pages 138-47, Supplemen.
- Szymanski, Stefan, 1994. "Strategic delegation with endogenous costs : A duopoly with wage bargaining," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 105-116, March.
- Gregory E. Goering, 2007. "The strategic use of managerial incentives in a non-profit firm mixed duopoly," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(2), pages 83-91.
- Katz, Michael L., 1991.
"Game-Playing Agents: Unobservable Contracts as Precommitments,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt79b870w0, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Michael L. Katz, 1991. "Game-Playing Agents: Unobservable Contracts as Precommitments," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 22(3), pages 307-328, Autumn.
- Michael L. Katz., 1991. "Game-Playing Agents: Unobservable Contracts as Precommitments," Economics Working Papers 91-172, University of California at Berkeley.
- Bhaumik, Sumon Kumar & Dimova, Ralitza, 2004.
"How important is ownership in a market with level playing field?: The Indian banking sector revisited,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 165-180, March.
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Ralitza Dimova, 2003. "How Important is Ownership in a Market with Level Playing Field? The Indian Banking Sector Revisited," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-569, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Barros, Fatima, 1995. "Incentive schemes as strategic variables: An application to a mixed duopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 373-386, September.
- Bughin, J., 1995. "Unions and strategic managerial incentives," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 95-100, January.
- CLAUDE, Denis & HINDRIKS, Jean, 2005.
"Strategic privatization and regulation policy in mixed markets,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2005015, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- J Hindriks & D Claude, 2006. "Strategic Privatization and Regulation Policy in Mixed Markets," The IUP Journal of Managerial Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(1), pages 7-26, February.
- Denis, CLAUDE & Jean, HINDRIKS, 2005. "Strategic Privatization and Regulation Policy in Mixed Markets," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2005016, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Michael Kopel & Christian Riegler, 2006. "R&D in a strategic delegation game revisited: a note," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(7), pages 605-612.
- Kenneth Fjell & Debashis Pal, 1996. "A Mixed Oligopoly in the Presence of Foreign Private Firms," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(3), pages 737-43, August.
- Matsumura, Toshihiro, 1998. "Partial privatization in mixed duopoly," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 473-483, December.
- Noriaki Matsushima & Toshihiro Matsumura, 2003. "Mixed oligopoly and spatial agglomeration," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(1), pages 62-87, February.
- Ziss, Steffen, 2001. "Horizontal mergers and delegation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 471-492, March.
- White, Mark D., 2001. "Managerial incentives and the decision to hire managers in markets with public and private firms," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 877-896, November.
- Rudra Sensarma & Bibhas Saha, 2008. "The Distributive Role of Managerial Incentives in a Mixed Duopoly," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(28), pages 1-10.
- Hiroaki Ino & Toshihiro Matsumura, 2010.
"What role should public enterprises play in free-entry markets?,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 101(3), pages 213-230, November.
- Hiroaki Ino & Toshihiro Matsumura, 2009. "What role should public enterprises play in free-entry markets?," Discussion Paper Series 46, School of Economics, Kwansei Gakuin University, revised Jun 2009.
- Johan Willner, 2010. "Public Options and Altruistic Firms - Antitrust Targets or Tools? The Welfare Impact of a Mixed Oligopoly With Managerial firms," Discussion Papers 59, Aboa Centre for Economics.
- Yoshihiro Tomaru & Yasuhiko Nakamura & Masayuki Saito, 2009. "Capacity Choice in a Mixed Duopoly with Managerial Delegation," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(3), pages 1904-1924.
- Wang F.S., Leonard & Chen, Tai-Liang, 2011. "Privatization, Efficiency Gap, and Subsidization with Excess Taxation Burden," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 52(1), pages 55-68, June.
- Leonard Wang & Tai-Liang Chen, 2010. "Do cost efficiency gap and foreign competitors matter concerning optimal privatization policy at the free entry market?," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 100(1), pages 33-49, May.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2008:i:28:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Johan Willner, 2013. "The welfare impact of a managerial oligopoly with an altruistic firm," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 109(2), pages 97-115, June.
- Michael Kopel & Marco Marini, 2013. "Strategic Delegation In Consumer Cooperatives Under Mixed Oligopoly," Working Papers 1306, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2013.
- Corrado Benassi & Alessandra Chirco & Marcella Scrimitore, 2014. "Optimal manipulation rules in a mixed oligopoly," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 112(1), pages 61-84, May.
- Du, Ninghua & Heywood, John S. & Ye, Guangliang, 2013. "Strategic delegation in an experimental mixed duopoly," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 87(C), pages 91-100.
- Michael Kopel & Marco Marini, 2012.
"Optimal Compensation Structure In Consumer Cooperatives Under Mixed Oligopoly,"
0512, CREI Università degli Studi Roma Tre, revised 2012.
- Michael Kopel & Marco A. Marini, 2012. "Optimal Compensation Structure in Consumer Cooperatives under Mixed Oligopoly," DIS Technical Reports 2012-06, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.