Indicators and indexes of directional output loss and input allocative inefficiency
AbstractWe extend Grosskopf et al.'s method and create an output loss indicator using directional output distance functions that allows non-radial efficiency gains in output. We compare our new output loss indicator with an indicator of input allocative inefficiency and derive the necessary and sufficient condition for equivalence between the two indicators. We also present an output loss index and corresponding input allocative inefficiency index and consider how indexes are related. Then we extend our analysis to productivity change and derive the necessary and sufficient condition for an output loss change indicator to be equivalent to an indicator of input allocative inefficiency change. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Managerial and Decision Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (2008)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2004. "A Luenberger-Hicks-Moorsteen productivity indicator: its relation to the Hicks-Moorsteen productivity index and the Luenberger productivity indicator," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 925-939, May.
- Luenberger, David G., 1992. "Benefit functions and duality," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 461-481.
- Fukuyama, Hirofumi & Weber, William L., 2005. "Estimating output gains by means of Luenberger efficiency measures," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 164(2), pages 535-547, July.
- Shawna Grosskopf & Kathy J. Hayes & Lori L. Taylor & William L. Weber, 1999. "Anticipating the Consequences of School Reform: A New Use of DEA," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(4), pages 608-620, April.
- Fukuyama, Hirofumi & Guerra, Ramon & Weber, William L., 1999. "Efficiency and ownership: evidence from Japanese credit cooperatives," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 473-487.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.