Option pricing by students and professional traders: a behavioural investigation
AbstractWe compare behaviour of students and professional traders from an influential German bank in an option pricing experiment. The arbitrage free price is independent of the probability distribution of the underlying asset. Students show a probability-dependent option valuation, but learn to exploit more arbitrage with experience. The professional traders exhibit a less probability sensitive valuation, but their performance is lower than the students'. We explain this with a more intuitive and less analytic approach used by the professional traders, despite their superior knowledge of financial markets, due to the lack of known probability distributions in real markets. Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Managerial and Decision Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2006)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Banks Jeffrey & Camerer Colin & Porter David, 1994.
"An Experimental Analysis of Nash Refinements in Signaling Games,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 1-31, January.
- Banks, Jeffrey & Camerer, Colin & Porter, David., 1990. "An Experimental Analysis of Nash Refinements in Signaling Games," Working Papers 740, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Abbink, Klaus & Abdolkarim Sadrieh, 1995. "RatImage - research Assistance Toolbox for Computer-Aided Human Behavior Experiments," Discussion Paper Serie B 325, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Douglas DeJong & Robert Forsythe & Wilfred Uecker, 1988.
"A note on the use of businessmen as subjects in sealed offer markets,"
Artefactual Field Experiments
00039, The Field Experiments Website.
- Dejong, Douglas V. & Forsythe, Robert & Uecker, Wilfred C., 1988. "A note on the use of businessmen as subjects in sealed offer markets," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 87-100, January.
- C. Bram Cadsby & Elizabeth Maynes, 1998. "Laboratory experiments in corporate and investment finance: a survey," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(4-5), pages 277-298.
- Dyer, Douglas & Kagel, John H & Levin, Dan, 1989.
"A Comparison of Naive and Experienced Bidders in Common Value Offer Auctions: A Laboratory Analysis,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(394), pages 108-15, March.
- Dyer, D. & Kagel, J.H. & Levin, D., 1988. "A Comparison Of Naive And Experienced Bidders In Common Value Offer Auctions A Laboratory Analysis," Papers 11, Houston - Department of Economics.
- Forsythe, Robert & Palfrey, Thomas R & Plott, Charles R, 1984. " Futures Markets and Informational Efficiency: A Laboratory Examination," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 955-81, September.
- Hansen, Kristiana & Kaplan, Jonathan D. & Kroll, Stephan, 2008.
"Valuing Options in Water Markets: A Laboratory Investigation,"
108722, Colorado State University, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Kristiana Hansen & Jonathan Kaplan & Stephan Kroll, 2014. "Valuing Options in Water Markets: A Laboratory Investigation," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 57(1), pages 59-80, January.
- Martina Nardon & Paolo Pianca, 2012. "Prospect theory: An application to European option pricing," Working Papers 2012:34, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Goerg, Sebastian J. & Walkowitz, Gari, 2010.
"On the prevalence of framing effects across subject-pools in a two-person cooperation game,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 849-859, December.
- Sebastian J. Goerg & Gari Walkowitz, 2010. "On the Prevalence of Framing Effects Across Subject-Pools in a Two- Person Cooperation Game," Working Paper Series of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods 2010_28, Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods.
- Gurevich, Gregory & Kliger, Doron & Levy, Ori, 2009. "Decision-making under uncertainty - A field study of cumulative prospect theory," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1221-1229, July.
- Da Costa Jr, Newton & Goulart, Marco & Cupertino, Cesar & Macedo Jr, Jurandir & Da Silva, Sergio, 2013.
"The disposition effect and investor experience,"
43570, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ludwig Ensthaler & Olga Nottmeyer & Georg Weizsäcker, 2010.
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1043, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Ensthaler, Ludwig & Nottmeyer, Olga & Weizsäcker, Georg, 2010. "Hidden Skewness," IZA Discussion Papers 5109, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ludwig Ensthaler & Olga Nottmeyer & Georg Weizsäcker, 2012. "Hidden Skewness," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1238, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Ludwig Ensthaler & Olga Nottmeyer & Georg Weizsäcker & Christian Zankiewicz, 2013. "Hidden Skewness: On the Difficulty of Multiplicative Compounding under Random Shocks," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1337, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Blaufus, Kay & Möhlmann, Axel, 2012. "Security returns and tax aversion bias: Behavioral responses to tax labels," arqus Discussion Papers in Quantitative Tax Research 133, arqus - Arbeitskreis Quantitative Steuerlehre.
- Martin Fochmann & Dirk Kiesewetter & Abdolkarim Sadrieh, 2010.
"Investment Behavior and the Biased Perception of Limited Loss Deduction in Income Taxation,"
FEMM Working Papers
100004, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
- Fochmann, Martin & Kiesewetter, Dirk & Sadrieh, Abdolkarim, 2012. "Investment behavior and the biased perception of limited loss deduction in income taxation," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 230-242.
- Martin Barner & Francesco Feri & Charles R. Plott, 2005. "On the microstructure of price determination and information aggregation with sequential and asymmetric information arrival in an experimental asset market," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 73-107, 01.
- Christian Wolff & Thorsten Lehnert & Cokki Versluis, 2009. "A Cumulative Prospect Theory Approach to Option Pricing," LSF Research Working Paper Series 09-03, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
- Burmeister-Lamp, Katrin & Lévesque, Moren & Schade, Christian, 2012. "Are entrepreneurs influenced by risk attitude, regulatory focus or both? An experiment on entrepreneurs' time allocation," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 456-476.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.