Efficiency in the National Basketball Association: a stochastic frontier approach with panel data
AbstractWe investigate how closely NBA teams play up to their potential. We find that shooting, rebounding, stealing the ball and blocking shots raise the number of potential wins while turnovers lower it. We also learn that better coaching and defensive prowess raise a team's win efficiency. Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Managerial and Decision Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clement, Robert C & McCormick, Robert E, 1989. "Coaching Team Production," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, Western Economic Association International, vol. 27(2), pages 287-304, April.
- Hung-jen Wang & Peter Schmidt, 2002.
"One-Step and Two-Step Estimation of the Effects of Exogenous Variables on Technical Efficiency Levels,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer,
Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 129-144, September.
- Wang, Hung-jen & Schmidt, Peter, 2001. "One-step and two-step estimation of the effects of exogenous variables on technical efficiency levels," MPRA Paper 31075, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2002.
- Hofler, Richard A. & Payne, James E., 1997. "Measuring efficiency in the National Basketball Association1," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 293-299, August.
- Rick Audas & Stephen Dobson & John Goddard, 1999. "Organizational performance and managerial turnover," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(6), pages 305-318.
- Fiona Carmichael & Dennis Thomas & Robert Ward, 2000. "Team performance: the case of English Premiership football," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(1), pages 31-45.
- Richmond, J, 1974. "Estimating the Efficiency of Production," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 15(2), pages 515-21, June.
- Lawrence Hadley & Marc Poitras & John Ruggiero & Scott Knowles, 2000. "Performance evaluation of National Football League teams," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(2), pages 63-70.
- Wen-Jhan Jane & Wei-Hsin Kong & Yi-Hsiue Wang, 2010. "Individual efficiency and club performance: a panel analysis of professional baseball," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 31(5), pages 363-372.
- M. Jara & D. Paolini, 2012.
"Management Efficiency in Football: An Empirical Analysis of two Extreme Cases,"
Working Paper CRENoS
201222, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- JARA, miguel & Paolini, DIMITRI & TENA, J.D., 2012. "Management efficiency in football: an empirical analysis of two extreme cases," CORE Discussion Papers, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) 2012044, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bernd Frick & Robert Simmons, 2007.
"The Impact of Managerial Quality on Organizational Performance: Evidence from German Soccer,"
Working Papers, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists
0708, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Bernd Frick & Robert Simmons, 2008. "The impact of managerial quality on organizational performance: evidence from German soccer," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(7), pages 593-600.
- Sue Bridgewater & Lawrence M. Kahn & Amanda H. Goodall, 2009.
"Substitution Between Managers and Subordinates: Evidence from British Football,"
NCER Working Paper Series, National Centre for Econometric Research
51, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- Bridgewater, Sue & Kahn, Lawrence M. & Goodall, Amanda H., 2009. "Substitution between Managers and Subordinates: Evidence from British Football," IZA Discussion Papers 4589, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bridgewater, Sue & Kahn, Lawrence M. & Goodall, Amanda H., 2011. "Substitution and complementarity between managers and subordinates: Evidence from British football," Labour Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 275-286, June.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Garcia-del-Barrio, Pedro, 2008. "Efficiency measurement of the English football Premier League with a random frontier model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 994-1002, September.
- Leo Kahane, 2005. "Production Efficiency and Discriminatory Hiring Practices in the National Hockey League: A Stochastic Frontier Approach," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 47-71, 08.
- Jardin, Mathieu, 2009. "Efficiency of French football clubs and its dynamics," MPRA Paper 19828, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.