The Hopkinson tariff alternative to TOU rates in the Israel Electric Corporation
AbstractThis paper determines three alternative Hopkinson tariffs to replace the Israel Electric Corporation's time-of-use (TOU) energy rate. The first apportions any system residual revenue requirement between customer classes, based on their respective historic peak demands. The second collects the same revenue as the current TOU rates. The third allocates generation revenue requirements for base-load and peaking generation plants in proportion to the base-load and peak-period energy consumption of each class, and allocates transmission and distribution revenue requirements in proportion to the connected load of each class. We show that a Hopkinson tariff with demand subscription is an attractive alternative to TOU rates, especially when quantity rationing is essential to maintaining a balance between the provision of energy and the demand for it. Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Managerial and Decision Economics.
Volume (Year): 23 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Spulber, Daniel F, 1992. "Optimal Nonlinear Pricing and Contingent Contracts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(4), pages 747-72, November.
- Chao, Hung-po & Wilson, Robert, 1987. "Priority Service: Pricing, Investment, and Market Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 899-916, December.
- Acton, Jan Paul, 1982. "An Evaluation of Economists' Influence on Electric Utility Rate Reforms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(2), pages 114-19, May.
- David, Laurent & Le Breton, Michel & Merillon, Olivier, 2007. "Public Utility Pricing and Capacity Choice with Stochastic Demand," IDEI Working Papers 489, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- David, Laurent & Le Breton, Michel & Merillon, Olivier, 2007. "Regulating the Natural Gas Transportation Industry: Optimal Pricing Policy of a Monopolist with Advance-Purchase and Spot Markets," IDEI Working Papers 488, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.