A new criterion for technical efficiency measures: non-monotonicity across dimensions axioms
AbstractBased on non-parametric deterministic production technologies radial and non-radial measures of technical efficiency are evaluated using properties guaranteeing insensitivity to the dimensionality of technology. These new axioms are important in empirical research and may especially prevent manipulation of results when implementing these benchmark methodologies in private or public organizations. An empirical example illustrates to which extent a series of radial and non-radial technical efficiency measures satisfies the proposed axioms. Copyright © 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Managerial and Decision Economics.
Volume (Year): 20 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995.
"Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998. "Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., . "Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Banker, R. D. & Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Clarke, R., 1989. "Constrained game formulations and interpretations for data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 299-308, June.
- repec:fth:louvco:9855 is not listed on IDEAS
- Førsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1978.
"Generalized Farrell Measures of Efficiency: An Application to Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants,"
Working Paper Series
17, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Forsund, Finn R & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1979. "Generalised Farrell Measures of Efficiency: An Application to Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(354), pages 294-315, June.
- Chu, Xuehao & Fielding, Gordon J. & Lamar, Bruce W., 1992. "Measuring transit performance using data envelopment analysis," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 223-230, May.
- Kittelsen, S.A.C., 1993. "Stepwise DEA; Choosing Variables for Measuring Technical Efficiency in Norwegian Electricity Distribution," Memorandum 06/1993, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Viton, Philip A., 1997. "Technical efficiency in multi-mode bus transit: A production frontier analysis," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 23-39, February.
- KERSTENs, Kris & VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe, 1995. "Technical Efficiency Measures on DEA and FDH : A Reconsideration of the Axiomatic Literature," CORE Discussion Papers 1995013, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Allen Berger & John Leusner & John Mingo, 1994.
"The Efficiency of Bank Branches,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
94-27, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Robert Russell, R., 1985. "Measures of technical efficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 109-126, February.
- KERSTENS , Kristiaan & VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe, 1998. "Distinguishing technical and scale efficiency on non-convex and convex technologies: theoretical analysis and empirical illustrations," CORE Discussion Papers 1998055, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Newhouse, Joseph P., 1994. "Frontier estimation: How useful a tool for health economics?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 317-322, October.
- Varian, Hal R, 1984. "The Nonparametric Approach to Production Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 579-97, May.
- Peter Bogetoft, 1996. "DEA on Relaxed Convexity Assumptions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(3), pages 457-465, March.
- Breyer, Friedrich, 1987. "The specification of a hospital cost function : A comment on the recent literature," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 147-157, June.
- McKillop, D. G. & Glass, J. C. & Ferguson, C., 2002. "Investigating the cost performance of UK credit unions using radial and non-radial efficiency measures," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 1563-1591, August.
- Lehmann, Erik E. & Warning, Susanne, 2010. "The impact of regional endowment and university characteristics on university efficiency," UO Working Papers 04-10, University of Augsburg, Chair of Management and Organization.
- Lehmann, Erik & Warning, Susanne, 2002. "Teaching or research? What affects the efficiency of universities," Discussion Papers, Series 1 322, University of Konstanz, Department of Economics.
- Colin Glass, J. & McCallion, Gillian & McKillop, Donal G. & Rasaratnam, Syamarlah & Stringer, Karl S., 2006. "Implications of variant efficiency measures for policy evaluations in UK higher education," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 119-142, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.