A new criterion for technical efficiency measures: non-monotonicity across dimensions axioms
AbstractBased on non-parametric deterministic production technologies radial and non-radial measures of technical efficiency are evaluated using properties guaranteeing insensitivity to the dimensionality of technology. These new axioms are important in empirical research and may especially prevent manipulation of results when implementing these benchmark methodologies in private or public organizations. An empirical example illustrates to which extent a series of radial and non-radial technical efficiency measures satisfies the proposed axioms. Copyright © 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Managerial and Decision Economics.
Volume (Year): 20 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Førsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1978.
"Generalized Farrell Measures of Efficiency: An Application to Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants,"
Working Paper Series
17, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Forsund, Finn R & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1979. "Generalised Farrell Measures of Efficiency: An Application to Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(354), pages 294-315, June.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., .
"Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998. "Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995. "Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kittelsen, S.A.C., 1993. "Stepwise DEA; Choosing Variables for Measuring Technical Efficiency in Norwegian Electricity Distribution," Memorandum 06/1993, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- repec:fth:louvco:9855 is not listed on IDEAS
- Allen N. Berger & John H. Leusner & John Mingo, 1994.
"The efficiency of bank branches,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
94-26, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Banker, R. D. & Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Clarke, R., 1989. "Constrained game formulations and interpretations for data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 299-308, June.
- Newhouse, Joseph P., 1994. "Frontier estimation: How useful a tool for health economics?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 317-322, October.
- Breyer, Friedrich, 1987. "The specification of a hospital cost function : A comment on the recent literature," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 147-157, June.
- Viton, Philip A., 1997. "Technical efficiency in multi-mode bus transit: A production frontier analysis," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 23-39, February.
- KERSTENs, Kris & VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe, 1995. "Technical Efficiency Measures on DEA and FDH : A Reconsideration of the Axiomatic Literature," CORE Discussion Papers 1995013, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Varian, Hal R, 1984. "The Nonparametric Approach to Production Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 579-97, May.
- KERSTENS , Kristiaan & VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe, 1998. "Distinguishing technical and scale efficiency on non-convex and convex technologies: theoretical analysis and empirical illustrations," CORE Discussion Papers 1998055, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Peter Bogetoft, 1996. "DEA on Relaxed Convexity Assumptions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(3), pages 457-465, March.
- Chu, Xuehao & Fielding, Gordon J. & Lamar, Bruce W., 1992. "Measuring transit performance using data envelopment analysis," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 223-230, May.
- Robert Russell, R., 1985. "Measures of technical efficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 109-126, February.
- Colin Glass, J. & McCallion, Gillian & McKillop, Donal G. & Rasaratnam, Syamarlah & Stringer, Karl S., 2006. "Implications of variant efficiency measures for policy evaluations in UK higher education," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 119-142, June.
- McKillop, D. G. & Glass, J. C. & Ferguson, C., 2002. "Investigating the cost performance of UK credit unions using radial and non-radial efficiency measures," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 1563-1591, August.
- Lehmann, Erik & Warning, Susanne, 2002. "Teaching or research? What affects the efficiency of universities," Discussion Papers, Series 1 322, University of Konstanz, Department of Economics.
- Lehmann, Erik E. & Warning, Susanne, 2010. "The impact of regional endowment and university characteristics on university efficiency," UO Working Papers 04-10, University of Augsburg, Chair of Management and Organization.
- David Bardey & Sylvain Pichetti, 2004. "Estimation de l’efficience des dépenses de santé au niveau départemental par la méthode DEA," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 166(5), pages 59-69.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.