Using laboratory experiments for policymaking: An example from the Georgia irrigation reduction auction
AbstractIn recent years, interest has been growing in policy applications of different auction systems. This paper reports a series of experiments that were used to design and implement an auction in a unique policymaking environment. In April 2000, the Georgia legislature passed a law that mandated that the state hold an auction in drought years to pay some farmers to suspend irrigation. This paper reports the results of laboratory experiments state policymakers used to determine the auction institution that would be used to fulfill the requirements of this new law. Experimental results are compared with farmers' bidding behavior in the state-run irrigation auction used to reduce water usage in Georgia. © 2004 by the Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Policy Analysis and Management.
Volume (Year): 23 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/34787/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Palfrey, Thomas R. & Goeree, Jacob & Holt, Charles, 2000.
"Quantal Response Equilibrium and Overbidding in Private-value Auctions,"
Working Papers, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences
1073, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Goeree, Jacob K. & Holt, Charles A. & Palfrey, Thomas R., 2002. "Quantal Response Equilibrium and Overbidding in Private-Value Auctions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 247-272, May.
- Jacob K. Goeree & Charles A. Holt & Thomas R. Palfrey, 2000. "Quantal Response Equilibrium and Overbidding in Private-Value Auctions," Virginia Economics Online Papers 345, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- David Lucking-Reiley & John A. List, 2000. "Demand Reduction in Multiunit Auctions: Evidence from a Sportscard Field Experiment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 961-972, September.
- Paul Klemperer, 1997.
"Auctions with Almost Common Values: The Wallet Game and its Applications,"
Economics Series Working Papers, University of Oxford, Department of Economics
1998-W03, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Klemperer, Paul, 1998. "Auctions with almost common values: The 'Wallet Game' and its applications," European Economic Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-5), pages 757-769, May.
- Benjamin M. Simon, 1998. "Federal Acquisition Of Water Through Voluntary Transactions For Environmental Purposes," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, Western Economic Association International, vol. 16(4), pages 422-432, October.
- Thomas Palfrey, 2002. "Quantal Response Equilibrium and Overbidding in Private Value Auctions," Theory workshop papers, UCLA Department of Economics 357966000000000089, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Boxall, Peter C. & Weber, Marian & Perger, Orsolya & Cutlac, Marius & Samarawickrema, Antony, 2008. "Results from the Farm Behaviour Component of the Integrated Economic-Hydrologic Model for the Watershed Evaluation of Beneficial Management Practices Program," Project Report Series, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology 116268, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
- Kristiana Hansen & Jonathan Kaplan & Stephan Kroll, 2014.
"Valuing Options in Water Markets: A Laboratory Investigation,"
Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 57(1), pages 59-80, January.
- Hansen, Kristiana & Kaplan, Jonathan D. & Kroll, Stephan, 2008. "Valuing Options in Water Markets: A Laboratory Investigation," Working Papers, Colorado State University, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics 108722, Colorado State University, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Reeson, Andrew F. & Rodriguez, Luis C. & Whitten, Stuart M. & Williams, Kristen & Nolles, Karel & Windle, Jill & Rolfe, John, 2011. "Adapting auctions for the provision of ecosystem services at the landscape scale," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 70(9), pages 1621-1627, July.
- Rolfe, John & Windle, Jill, 2006. "Using Field Experiments to Explore the Use of Multiple Bidding Rounds in Conservation Auctions," Discussion Papers, International Association of Agricultural Economists 25801, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Andrew Reeson & Karel Nolles, 2009. "Experimental Economics: Applications to Environmental Policy," Socio-Economics and the Environment in Discussion (SEED) Working Paper Series, CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems 2009-03, CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems.
- Markus Groth, 2009. "The transferability and performance of payment-by-results biodiversity conservation procurement auctions: empirical evidence from northernmost Germany," Working Paper Series in Economics, University of LÃ¼neburg, Institute of Economics 119, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Jonathan E. Alevy & Oscar Cristi & Oscar Melo, 2010.
"Right-to-Choose Auctions: A Field Study of Water Markets in the Limari Valley of Chile,"
2010-04, University of Alaska Anchorage, Department of Economics.
- Alevy, Jonathan E. & Cristi, Oscar & Melo, Oscar, 2010. "Right-to-Choose Auctions: A Field Study of Water Markets in the Limari Valley of Chile," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 39(2), April.
- Jonathan Alevy & Oscar Cristi & Oscar Melo, 2010. "Right-to-choose auctions: A field study of water markets in the limari valley of chile," Framed Field Experiments, The Field Experiments Website 00117, The Field Experiments Website.
- Schilizzi, Steven & Latacz-Lohmann, Uwe, 2009. "Predicting the performance of conservation tenders when information on bidders's costs is limited," 2009 Conference (53rd), February 11-13, 2009, Cairns, Australia, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society 48171, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Swallow, Stephen K., 2013. "Demand-side Value for Ecosystem Services and Implications for Innovative Markets: Experimental Perspectives on the Possibility of Private Markets for Public Goods," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 42(1), April.
- Valle, Haydn & Capon, Timothy & Harris, Michael & Reeson, Andrew, 2012. "Coordination and Strategic Behaviour in Landscape Auctions," 2012 Conference (56th), February 7-10, 2012, Freemantle, Australia, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society 124466, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Laurent Denant-Boèmont & Pierre Malgrange & David Masclet & Claude Montmarquette, 2008. "Économie expérimentale, outil d'aide à la décision. Présentation générale," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, Programme National Persée, vol. 182(1), pages 1-6.
- Ferraro, Paul J., 2008. "Asymmetric information and contract design for payments for environmental services," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 65(4), pages 810-821, May.
- Porter, David & Rassenti, Stephen & Shobe, William & Smith, Vernon & Winn, Abel, 2009. "The design, testing and implementation of Virginia's NOx allowance auction," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 190-200, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.