Determinants of Inflow of Foreign Direct Investment in Hungary and China: Time-Series Approach
AbstractThis paper analyses what factors best explain foreign capital inflows into Hungary and China during the period 1978-92. The size of the host country markets is found to play a positive role, while the cost of capital variables and political instability are negatively correlated with investment inflows. It supports the hypothesis that low-cost labour and currency depreciation are important factors in explaining how much foreign capital inflows into a particular country. There is little evidence to support classical hypotheses concerning tariff barriers and imports variables. The OECD growth rates show significant positive correlation with foreign direct investment in Hungary. © 1997 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 9 (1997)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schmitz, Andrew & Bieri, Jurg, 1972. "EEC tariffs and U.S. direct investment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 259-270, November.
- Yoong-Deok Jeon, 1992. "The determinants of Korean foreign direct investment in manufacturing industries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 128(3), pages 527-542, September.
- Cushman, David O, 1985. "Real Exchange Rate Risk, Expectations, and the Level of Direct Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(2), pages 297-308, May.
- Jamuna Agarwal, 1980. "Determinants of foreign direct investment: A survey," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(4), pages 739-773, December.
- James Riedel, 1975. "The nature and determinants of export-oriented direct foreign investment in a developing country: A case study of Taiwan," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 111(3), pages 505-528, 09.
- Stephen J Kobrin, 1976. "The Environmental Determinants of Foreign Direct Manufacturing Investment: An Ex Post Empirical Analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 7(2), pages 29-42, June.
- Horst, Thomas, 1972. "Firm and Industry Determinants of the Decision to Invest Abroad: An Empirical Study," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(3), pages 258-66, August.
- Alan M Rugman, 1976. "Risk Reduction by International Diversification," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 7(2), pages 75-80, June.
- Hal Hill & Brian Johns, 1985. "The role of direct foreign investment in developing east asian countries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 121(2), pages 355-381, June.
- Caves, Richard E, 1971. "International Corporations: The Industrial Economics of Foreign Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 38(149), pages 1-27, February.
- Douglas Nigh, 1985. "The Effect of Political Events on United States Direct Foreign Investment: A Pooled Time-Series Cross-Sectional Analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(1), pages 1-17, March.
- Aarón Garavito A. & Ana María Iregui B. & María Teresa Ramírez G., 2012.
"Determinantes de la inversión extranjera directa en Colombia: Un estudio a nivel de firma,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
009672, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Aarón Garavito A. & Ana María Iregui B. & María Teresa Ramírez G., 2012. "Determinantes de la inversión extranjera directa en Colombia: Un estudio a nivel de firma," Borradores de Economia 714, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Baek, Jungho & Koo, Won W., 2008. "A Dynamic Approach to the FDI-Environment Nexus: The Case of China and India," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6508, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Abdul Karim, Noor Al-Huda & Winters, Paul C. & Coelli, Tim J. & Fleming, Euan M., 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment in Manufacturing Sector in Malaysia," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57903, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Bilgili, Faik & Tülüce, Nadide Sevil Halıcı & Doğan, İbrahim, 2012. "The determinants of FDI in Turkey: A Markov Regime-Switching approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1161-1169.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.