Determinants of Inflow of Foreign Direct Investment in Hungary and China: Time-Series Approach
AbstractThis paper analyses what factors best explain foreign capital inflows into Hungary and China during the period 1978-92. The size of the host country markets is found to play a positive role, while the cost of capital variables and political instability are negatively correlated with investment inflows. It supports the hypothesis that low-cost labour and currency depreciation are important factors in explaining how much foreign capital inflows into a particular country. There is little evidence to support classical hypotheses concerning tariff barriers and imports variables. The OECD growth rates show significant positive correlation with foreign direct investment in Hungary. © 1997 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 9 (1997)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen J Kobrin, 1976. "The Environmental Determinants of Foreign Direct Manufacturing Investment: An Ex Post Empirical Analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 7(2), pages 29-42, June.
- Yoong-Deok Jeon, 1992. "The determinants of Korean foreign direct investment in manufacturing industries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 128(3), pages 527-542, September.
- Douglas Nigh, 1985. "The Effect of Political Events on United States Direct Foreign Investment: A Pooled Time-Series Cross-Sectional Analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(1), pages 1-17, March.
- Horst, Thomas, 1972. "Firm and Industry Determinants of the Decision to Invest Abroad: An Empirical Study," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(3), pages 258-66, August.
- Cushman, David O, 1985. "Real Exchange Rate Risk, Expectations, and the Level of Direct Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(2), pages 297-308, May.
- Schmitz, Andrew & Bieri, Jurg, 1972. "EEC tariffs and U.S. direct investment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 259-270, November.
- Alan M Rugman, 1976. "Risk Reduction by International Diversification," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 7(2), pages 75-80, June.
- Caves, Richard E, 1971. "International Corporations: The Industrial Economics of Foreign Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 38(149), pages 1-27, February.
- Jamuna Agarwal, 1980. "Determinants of foreign direct investment: A survey," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(4), pages 739-773, December.
- James Riedel, 1975. "The nature and determinants of export-oriented direct foreign investment in a developing country: A case study of Taiwan," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 111(3), pages 505-528, 09.
- Hal Hill & Brian Johns, 1985. "The role of direct foreign investment in developing east asian countries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 121(2), pages 355-381, June.
- Abdul Karim, Noor Al-Huda & Winters, Paul C. & Coelli, Tim J. & Fleming, Euan M., 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment in Manufacturing Sector in Malaysia," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57903, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Baek, Jungho & Koo, Won W., 2008. "A Dynamic Approach to the FDI-Environment Nexus: The Case of China and India," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6508, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Bilgili, Faik & Tülüce, Nadide Sevil Halıcı & Doğan, İbrahim, 2012. "The determinants of FDI in Turkey: A Markov Regime-Switching approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1161-1169.
- Aarón Garavito A. & Ana María Iregui B. & María Teresa Ramírez G., 2012.
"Determinantes de la inversión extranjera directa en Colombia: Un estudio a nivel de firma,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
009672, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Aarón Garavito A. & Ana María Iregui B. & María Teresa Ramírez G., 2012. "Determinantes de la inversión extranjera directa en Colombia: Un estudio a nivel de firma," Borradores de Economia 714, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.