Management of microfinance institutions: Do subsidies matter?
AbstractIt is estimated that donors commit between US$ 800 million and US$ 1 billion to microfinance per year. This paper analyses the management of microfinance institutions (MFIs) and its relationship with donors' subsidies. The results show that the level of subsidies granted per year is related to the management quality but not the subsidies divided by the gross loan portfolio or the total equity. Well-managed MFIs are larger and regulated organisations but not significantly older. The organisational structure or the experience of the MFI however does not play a role in determining its financial effectiveness, except for cooperatives. Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 22 (2010)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Armendariz de Aghion, Beatriz, 1999. "On the design of a credit agreement with peer monitoring," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 79-104, October.
- Niels Hermes & Robert Lensink, 2007.
"The empirics of microfinance: what do we know?,"
Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society,
Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(517), pages F1-F10, 02.
- Mersland, Roy & Strøm, R. Øystein, 2007. "Microbanks: Ownership, performance and social tradeoffs - a global analysis," MPRA Paper 2063, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marc Labie & Anaïs Périlleux, 2008. "Corporate governance in microfinance: credit unions," Working Papers CEB, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles 08-003.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-25, June.
- Hartarska, Valentina, 2005. "Governance and performance of microfinance institutions in Central and Eastern Europe and the Newly Independent States," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1627-1643, October.
- Robert Cull & Asli Demirguç-Kunt & Jonathan Morduch, 2007.
"Financial performance and outreach: a global analysis of leading microbanks,"
Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society,
Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(517), pages F107-F133, 02.
- Cull, Robert & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Morduch, Jonathan, 2006. "Financial performance and outreach : a global analysis of leading microbanks," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3827, The World Bank.
- Hartarska, Valentina M., 2005. "Governance and Performance of Microfinance Institutions in Central and Eastern Europe and the Newly Independent States," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark, European Association of Agricultural Economists 24568, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Annabel Vanroose, 2008. "What macro factors make microfinance institutions reach out?," Working Papers CEB, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles 08-036.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marek Hudon & Bernard Lietaer, 2006. "Natural savings: a new microsavings product for inflationary environments," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14212, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Ashfaq Ahmad Khan & Wiqar Ahmad, 2013. "Matching resources with demand: a flawed strategy?," Asia-Pacific Development Journal, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), vol. 20(1), pages 63-89, June.
- Dlamini, Menzie S., 2012. "The effect of subsidies on the performance and sustainability of microfinance institutions in sub-Saharan Africa," Research Theses, Collaborative Masters Program in Agricultural and Applied Economics 134487, Collaborative Masters Program in Agricultural and Applied Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.