Foreign direct investment in small island developing states
AbstractThe role of foreign direct investment (FDI) in small island developing states (SIDS) is an issue that has been neglected until relatively recently. The reasons for this lack of interest are unsurprising, given both the low absolute volume of capital flows involved and the general neglect of issues relating directly to SIDS in the mainstream theoretical and empirical economics literature. For SIDS themselves however, FDI represents an important additional source of investment capital and a potentially critical contributor to growth and development. This paper represents one of the first attempts to analyse the determinants of the inflows of FDI to SIDS. The analysis is undertaken in the context of the existing literature on the determinants of FDI inflows, incorporating insights drawn from recent research on the determinants of growth in small states. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 20 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Other versions of this item:
- Read, Robert, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment in Small Island Developing States," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- H Armstrong, R de Kervenoael, Xiao-Ming Li and R Read, .
"A Comparision of the economic performance of different micro-states and between micro-states and larger countries,"
ec9/97, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Armstrong, H. & De Kervenoael, R. J. & Li, X. & Read, R., 1998. "A comparison of the economic performance of different micro-states, and between micro-states and larger countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 639-656, April.
- David W Loree & Stephen E Guisinger, 1995. "Policy and Non-Policy Determinants of U.S. Equity Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(2), pages 281-299, June.
- Steven Globerman & Daniel M Shapiro, 1999. "The Impact of Government Policies on Foreign Direct Investment: The Canadian Experience," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(3), pages 513-532, September.
- Armstrong, H W & Read, R, 2000. "Comparing the Economic Performance of Dependent Territories and Sovereign Microstates," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(2), pages 285-306, January.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998.
"How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995. "How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?," NBER Working Papers 5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yutao Han & Patrice Pieretti & Skerdilajda Zanaj & Benteng Zou, 2011.
"Asymmetric Competition among Nation States. A differential game approach,"
CREA Discussion Paper Series
11-19, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Yutao Han & Patrice Pieretti & Skerdilajda Zanaj & Benteng Zou, 2012. "Asymmetric Competition among Nation States: A Differential Game Approach," Working Papers 460, Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics.
- Dunn, Leslie, 2011. "The Impact of Political Dependence on Small Island Jurisdictions," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(12), pages 2132-2146.
- Patrice Pieretti & Skerdilajda Zanaj & Benteng Zou, 2012. "On the long run economic performance of small economies," CREA Discussion Paper Series 12-14, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Cristiano Cechella, 2011. "The influence of cultural affinity for the boost of Brazilian investment in Portugal," ERSA conference papers ersa10p446, European Regional Science Association.
- Moore, Winston & CRAIGWELL, ROLAND, 2008. "Foreign direct investment and tourism in SIDS: evidence from panel causality tests," MPRA Paper 33438, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.