Bridging research and policy on education, training and their enabling environments
AbstractThis paper revisits the research origins of one well-known claim which has been used in policy documents over the past 25 years, namely that four years of education increase agricultural productivity. The oversimplification of the original research findings has influenced funding patterns of aid agencies, leading to a concentration on primary education in Africa. While this demonstrates a 'successful' case of research leading to policy change, it also highlights the way in which simple policy 'narratives' can result in inappropriate policy positions. We argue that policy positions on this link between education and the environment are also based on commonsense without sufficient research into what appears to be not a one-way but a two-way inter-relationship between quality education and training and the wider environment. Copyright © 2005 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 17 (2005)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1994.
"Returns to investment in education: A global update,"
World Development, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 22(9), pages 1325-1343, September.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1993. "Returns to investment in education : a global update," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1067, The World Bank.
- Lockheed, Marlaine E & Jamison, Dean T & Lau, Lawrence J, 1980. "Farmer Education and Farm Efficiency: A Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(1), pages 37-76, October.
- Marianne Fay & Danny Leipziger & Quentin Wodon & Tito Yepes, 2003. "Achieving the Millennium Development Goals : The role of infrastructure," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3163, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2003. "Education in Rwanda : Rebalancing Resources to Accelerate Post-Conflict Development and Poverty Reduction," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14718, The World Bank.
- Psacharopoulos, George & Patrinos, Harry Anthony, 2002.
"Returns to investment in education : a further update,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2881, The World Bank.
- George Psacharopoulos & Harry Anthony Patrinos, 2004. "Returns to investment in education: a further update," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 111-134.
- World Bank, 2001. "A Chance to Learn : Knowledge and Finance for Education in Sub-Saharan Africa," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13855, August.
- Palmer, Robert, 2008. "Skills and productivity in the informal economy," ILO Working Papers, International Labour Organization 413142, International Labour Organization.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.