The impact of market reforms on the Senegalese peanut economy
AbstractThis article assesses the welfare impacts of structural adjustment-induced peanut market reforms in Senegal. In the pre-reform period, by keeping peanut prices low, price regulation favoured urban dwellers and processors to the detriment of farmers, although the latter benefited from subsidized credit and inputs. With the reforms, peanut prices increased but the ensuing benefits to farmers were outweighed by higher production costs. Consumers gained due to access to cheaper, imported vegetable oil and processors lost due to excess capacity from lower peanut production. Overall, social welfare decreased illustrating that unfettered market reforms can be detrimental when supportive market institutions are eliminated without addressing alternatives. Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 14 (2002)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beghin, John C. & Karp, L., 1991.
"Estimation of Price Policies in Senegal: An Empirical Test of Cooperative Game Theory,"
Staff General Research Papers
1570, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Beghin, John C. & Karp, Larry S., 1991. "Estimation of price policies in Senegal An empirical test of cooperative game theory," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 49-67, January.
- de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Anda, Gustavo Gordillo, 1995. "NAFTA and Mexico's maize producers," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(8), pages 1349-1362, August.
- Alesina, Alberto F & Roubini, Nouriel, 1990.
"Political Cycles in OECD Economies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
470, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roubini, Nouriel & Alesina, Alberto, 1992. "Political Cycles in OECD Economies," Scholarly Articles 4553025, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Dean DeRosa, 1992. "Protection and export performance in Sub-Saharan Africa," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 128(1), pages 88-124, March.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1987. "Some Theoretical Aspects of Agricultural Policies," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 2(1), pages 43-60, January.
- John C. Beghin & Holger Matthey, 2003.
"Modeling World Peanut Product Markets: A Tool for Agricultural Trade Policy Analysis,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
03-wp332, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- John C. Beghin & Holger Matthey, 2003. "Modeling World Peanut Product Markets: A Tool for Agricultural Trade Policy Analysis," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 03-wp332, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Matthey, Holger & Diop, Ndiame & Beghin, John C. & Sewadeh, Mirvat, 2003. "The Impact Of Groundnut Trade Liberalization: Implication For The Doha Round," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22032, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Beghin, John C. & Diop, Ndiame & Matthey, Holger, 2003.
"Groundnut Trade Liberalization: Could the South Help the South?,"
Staff General Research Papers
10875, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Beghin, John & Diop, Ndiame & Matthey, Holger, 2006. "Groundnut trade liberalization: Could the South help the south?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1016-1036, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.