Defining the category of 'small' states
AbstractThere is no widely accepted definition of a small state. Most previous definitions have been based upon arbitrarily chosen cut-off values of selected criteria. The present study attempts to categorize the size of 190 states according to population, land area and total income. An initial categorization is based upon observation of each series to identify discontinuities in the distributions. Cluster analysis is then employed to identify groups of countries that share similar size-related characteristics. A classification based on non-hierarchical cluster analysis is proposed, generating four clusters from equally spaced initial cluster-centres. On this basis, 79 countries are classified as 'small'. The reasons for deviation from recent categorizations of small countries are explored, the primary cause being the inclusion of some countries with very low levels of income. Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 14 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Khatkhate, Deena R. & Short, Brock K., 1980. "Monetary and central banking problems of mini states," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 8(12), pages 1017-1025, December.
- Caldwell, John C. & Harrison, Graham E. & Quiggin, Pat, 1980. "The demography of micro-states," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 8(12), pages 953-962, December.
- Briguglio, Lino, 1995. "Small island developing states and their economic vulnerabilities," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(9), pages 1615-1632, September.
- Berlage, Lodewijk & Terweduwe, Dirk, 1988. "The classification of countries by cluster and by factor analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 16(12), pages 1527-1545, December.
- Armstrong, H. & De Kervenoael, R. J. & Li, X. & Read, R., 1998.
"A comparison of the economic performance of different micro-states, and between micro-states and larger countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 639-656, April.
- H Armstrong, R de Kervenoael, Xiao-Ming Li and R Read, . "A Comparision of the economic performance of different micro-states and between micro-states and larger countries," Working Papers ec9/97, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Streeten, Paul, 1993. "The special problems of small countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 197-202, February.
- Gruen, David W R & Smith, Jeremy, 1994. "Excess Returns in a Small Open Economy," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 70(211), pages 381-96, December.
- Milner, Chris & Westaway, Tony, 1993. "Country size and the medium-term growth process: Some cross-country evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 203-211, February.
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur, 1999.
"Exports, Inflation and Growth,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1031-1057, June.
- Looney, Robert E., 1989. "Macroeconomic consequences of the size of third world nations: With special reference to the Caribbean," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 69-83, January.
- Masih, Rumi & Masih, Abul M. M., 1996. "Macroeconomic activity dynamics and Granger causality: New evidence from a small developing economy based on a vector error-correction modelling analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 407-426, July.
- Selwyn, Percy, 1980. "Smallness and islandness," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 8(12), pages 945-951, December.
- Craigwell, Roland C & Thomas, Chrystal, 2010. "Revisiting the effect of country size on taxation in developing countries," MPRA Paper 33470, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bouchra Fninou & François Meyssonnier, 2013. "Un système de pilotage de la performance publique à dominante managériale : analyse de l'expérience de Dubaï," Working Papers hal-00781973, HAL.
- Ilan Kelman, 2010. "Introduction to climate, disasters and international development," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 208-217.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.