Changes in regional inequality and social welfare in Indonesia from 1996 to 1999
AbstractIn this paper I use the detailed consumption modules of the 1996 and 1999 National Socio-Economic Surveys (SUSENAS) to calculate proportional changes in two welfare measures within 53 rural and urban regions of Indonesia. The results suggest that urban regions experienced the greatest drops in consumption while rural regions were less affected. The large decreases in mean consumption were accompanied by a reduction in inequality within the majority of the regions that tended to counteract the negative effect of the lower mean consumption on social welfare. The same general picture emerges when I use per capita caloric availability as a measure of welfare. Most of the regions experiencing a large drop in per capita consumption also seem to experience a drop in per capita caloric availability. This suggests that the drop in consumption has been accompanied by a reduction in the availability of calories and possibly nutrients at the household level. © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 13 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Angus Deaton & Salman Zaidi, 2002.
"Guidelines for Constructing Consumption Aggregates for Welfare Analysis,"
World Bank Publications,
The World Bank, number 14101, October.
- Angus Deaton & Salman Zaidi, 1999. "Guidelines for Constructing Consumption Aggregates For Welfare Analysis," Working Papers 217, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies..
- Deaton, A. & Zaidi, S., 1999. "Guidelines for Constructing Consumption Aggregates for Welfare Analysis," Papers 192, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July.
- Abuzar Asra, 1999. "Urban-Rural Differences in Costs of Living and Their Impact on Poverty Measures," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(3), pages 51-69.
- Levinsphn, J. & Berry, S. & Friedman, J., 1999.
"Impacts of the Indonesian Economic Crisis: Price Changes and the Poor,"
446, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- James A. Levinsohn & Steven T. Berry & Jed Friedman, 2003. "Impacts of the Indonesian Economic Crisis.Price Changes and the Poor," NBER Chapters, in: Managing Currency Crises in Emerging Markets, pages 393-428 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Levinsohn & Steven Berry & Jed Friedman, 1999. "Impacts of the Indonesian Economic Crisis: Price Changes and the Poor," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 249, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- James Levinsohn & Steven Berry & Jed Friedman, 1999. "Impacts of the Indonesian Economic Crisis: Price Changes and the Poor," NBER Working Papers 7194, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- repec:fth:michin:446 is not listed on IDEAS
- Takahiro AKITA & Rizal Affandi LUKMAN & Yukino YAMADA, 1999. "Inequality In The Distribution Of Household Expenditures In Indonesia: A Theil Decomposition Analysis," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 37(2), pages 197-221, 06.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Ravallion, M., 1992. "Poverty Comparisons - A Guide to Concepts and Methods," Papers 88, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Migotto, Mauro & Davis, Benjamin & Carletto, Gero & Beegle, Kathleen, 2006.
"Measuring Food Security Using Respondents' Perception of Food Consumption Adequacy,"
Working Paper Series
RP2006/88, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Mauro Migotto & Benjamin Davis & Gero Carletto & Kathleen Beegle, 2005. "Measuring Food Security Using Respondents’ Perception of Food Consumption Adequacy," Working Papers 05-10, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.