Paradoxes of participation: questioning participatory approaches to development
AbstractThis article suggests that the concepts underlying participatory approaches to development should be subject to greater critical analysis. Drawing on research on water resource management in sub-Saharan Africa, and on social theory concerning the recursive relationship between agency and structure, it illustrates the need for a more complex understanding of issues of efficiency and empowerment in participatory approaches. Particularly, two key concepts are examined: ideas about the nature and role of institutions ; and models of individual action . The article concludes by identifying the questions such an analysis raises about the relationships between community, social capital and the state. Copyright © 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 11 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen Deere & Magdalena Leon, 1998. "Gender, land, and water: From reform to counter-reform in Latin America," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 375-386, December.
- Thompson, John, 1995. "Participatory approaches in government bureaucracies: Facilitating the process of institutional change," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(9), pages 1521-1554, September.
- Richard R. Nelson, 1995. "Recent Evolutionary Theorizing about Economic Change," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 48-90, March.
- Blaikie, Piers, 2006. "Is Small Really Beautiful? Community-based Natural Resource Management in Malawi and Botswana," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 1942-1957, November.
- Danielle Resnick & Regina Birner, 2010.
"Agricultural Strategy Development in West Africa: The False Promise of Participation?,"
Development Policy Review,
Overseas Development Institute, vol. 28(1), pages 97-115, 01.
- Resnick, Danielle & Birner, Regina, 2008. "Agricultural strategy development in West Africa: The false promise of participation?," IFPRI discussion papers 844, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Lan Anh Hoang & Jean-Christophe Castella & Paul Novosad, 2006. "Social networks and information access: Implications for agricultural extension in a rice farming community in northern Vietnam," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 513-527, December.
- Turcotte, I. & Gomez, G.M., 2012. "Linking the poor to new modalities in service delivery. Partnership innovations in solid waste management in Bogotá, Colombia," ISS Working Papers - General Series 548, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- John Briggs & Joanne Sharp & Hoda Yacoub & Nabila Hamed & Alan Roe, 2007. "The nature of indigenous environmental knowledge production: evidence from Bedouin communities in southern Egypt," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(2), pages 239-251.
- Classen, Lauren & Humphries, Sally & FitzSimons, John & Kaaria, Susan & Jiménez, José & Sierra, Fredy & Gallardo, Omar, 2008. "Opening Participatory Spaces for the Most Marginal: Learning from Collective Action in the Honduran Hillsides," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 2402-2420, November.
- Sule Ahmadu & Nobaya Ahmad & Hanina H. Hamsan, 2012. "Perspective on Beneficiaries Experiences of Participation in Community-Based Agriculture and Rural Development Program in Guba, Northern Nigeria," Asian Journal of Agriculture and rural Development, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 2(1), pages 39-45, March.
- Prno, Jason, 2013. "An analysis of factors leading to the establishment of a social licence to operate in the mining industry," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 577-590.
- Sam Hickey, 2002. "Transnational NGDOS and participatory forms of rights-based development: converging with the local politics of citizenship in Cameroon," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(6), pages 841-857.
- Prno, Jason & Scott Slocombe, D., 2012. "Exploring the origins of ‘social license to operate’ in the mining sector: Perspectives from governance and sustainability theories," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 346-357.
- Nicole Peterson, 2011. "Excluding to include: (Non)participation in Mexican natural resource management," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 99-107, February.
- Sun, Yan & Asante, Felix & Birner, Regina, 2010. "Opportunities and challenges of community-based rural drinking water supplies: An analysis of water and sanitation committees in Ghana," IFPRI discussion papers 1026, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Nkonya, Ephraim & Phillip, Dayo & Mogues, Tewodaj & Pender, John & Kato, Edward, 2010.
"From the ground up: Impacts of a pro-poor community-driven development project in Nigeria,"
Ephraim Nkonya, et al., International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Nkonya, Ephraim & Phillip, Dayo & Mogues, Tewodaj & Pender, John & Yahaya, Muhammed Kuta & Adebowale, Gbenga & Arokoyo, Tunji & Kato, Edward, 2008. "From the ground up: Impacts of a pro-poor community-driven development project in Nigeria," IFPRI discussion papers 756, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Wester, Philippus & Merrey, Douglas J. & de Lange, Marna, 2003. "Boundaries of Consent: Stakeholder Representation in River Basin Management in Mexico and South Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 797-812, May.
- Nkonya, Ephraim & Phillip, Dayo & Mogues, Tewodaj & Pender, John & Kato, Edward, 2012.
"Impacts of Community-driven Development Programs on Income and Asset Acquisition in Africa: The Case of Nigeria,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(9), pages 1824-1838.
- Nkonya, Ephraim M. & Phillip, Dayo & Mogues, Tewodaj & Pender, John L. & Kato, Edward, 2009. "Impacts Of Community-Driven Development Programs On Income And Asset Acquisition In Africa: The Case Of Nigeria," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 50537, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Julie Wilk & Anna Jonsson, 2013. "From Water Poverty to Water Prosperity—A More Participatory Approach to Studying Local Water Resources Management," Water Resources Management, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 695-713, February.
- Carla Roncoli & Benjamin Orlove & Merit Kabugo & Milton Waiswa, 2011. "Cultural styles of participation in farmers’ discussions of seasonal climate forecasts in Uganda," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 123-138, February.
- Hicks, Douglas A., 2004. "Inequalities, Agency, and Well-being: Conceptual Linkages and Measurement Challenges in Development," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- K. Vandersypen & B. Verbist & A. Keita & D. Raes & J.-Y. Jamin, 2009. "Linking Performance and Collective Action—the Case of the Office du Niger Irrigation Scheme in Mali," Water Resources Management, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 153-168, January.
- Sneddon, Chris & Fox, Coleen, 2007. "Power, Development, and Institutional Change: Participatory Governance in the Lower Mekong Basin," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 2161-2181, December.
- Goel, Sanjay & Mazzola, Pietro & Phan, Phillip H. & Pieper, Torsten M. & Zachary, Ramona K., 2012. "Strategy, ownership, governance, and socio-psychological perspectives on family businesses from around the world," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 54-65.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.