An alternative model of development? Co-operation and flexible industrial practices in India
AbstractGoing beyond the notion of macroeconomic flexibility, this paper argues that flexibility at the firm|industry level is crucial to rapid adjustment to changing economic circumstances. By examining various kinds of Japanese-type flexible industrial practices adopted by a few firms in the Indian automotive industry, I show that aside from promoting competitiveness and externalities, such practices institutionalize co-operation. Developing countries, like India, undergoing economic reforms and requiring industrial investments, need to strengthen such institutional arrangements, thereby ensuring employment security, skill development, and social stability. © 1998 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 10 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mauricio Mesquita Moreira, 1994. "Industrialization, trade and market failures: the role of government intervention in Brazil," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 48(3), pages 295-324, July.
- D'costa, Anthony P., 1995. "The restructuring of the Indian automobile industry: Indian state and Japanese capital," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 485-502, March.
- Okada, Aya, 2004. "Skills Development and Interfirm Learning Linkages under Globalization: Lessons from the Indian Automobile Industry," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1265-1288, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.